Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Attention>I NEED HELP!!!

Old 02-29-2004, 06:39 PM

Default Attention>I NEED HELP!!!

Hey everyone. I've just moved into a new place with the future misses, and we are truly happy living in the woods. One problem though; a skunk lives here too, under my back porch, and apparently he doesn't get along so well with the other critters in our back yard. It smells like he 's sprayed in my bedroom for three of the past five days. I stayed up the other night and drew back on him with my bow, but he vanished over a snow bank before I could shoot(I am also hindered by no clear shot - neighbors houses beyond target). Can anyone tell me what to bait a skunk with. And can someone tell me( slowly in smal words>I'm not the smartest) how to rig some kind of snare so I can get a shot during daylight and end my ordeal. Also> do people skin skunks? This one really is beautiful; mostly white, and as long as theres not a danger of me getting skunked, I'd even attempt skinning it myself. I've skinned enough deer, but never done a cape or anything like that. Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:47 PM

Default RE: Attention>I NEED HELP!!!

Shoot him in the spinal cord or head so he wont spray.Any thing sweet will attract him{marshmellows,peanut butter Ect.}set a conibar where he is coming out.If you are fast enough grab him by the tail and pick him up, he cant spray you then needs his back legs.As for skinning them I would suggest getting some one experienced.You hit the wrong sac and noone will like you for awhile Lol
Old 02-29-2004, 07:01 PM

Thanks. I have no trapping experience except for using one of those live traps. I planned on popping him in the head with the .22 when I get a shot. I've checked locally and can't find anything but havaheart traps. When I asked someone at the local sport shops they thought I was kidding. And I don't know if UR joshin me, but I wouldn't be grabbin a skunk by the tail>Said I wasn't the brightest; that don't mean I'm stupid! Thanks though, the peanut butter bait will be useful.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:06 PM

i think now you smell so bad you can blast him with a shotgun. a conibear 330 wi work good but i dont know if you have them in the us you could ask the boys over at www.traperman.com
Old 02-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get a 220 conibear off Ebay, you can usually buy one or two for about 10-15 bucks shipped. Get a 5 gallon bucket and notch out the sides, put some good smelling stuff in the back of the bucket and get it all set under your porch. Shouldn't take long to get him. I would suggest against this if there are a lot of cats and dogs in your area that could access where the trap is at though.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:13 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

What Arctic said. If there are cats or dogs around a live trap works well on skunks. Bait it with canned dog food or sardines. If you catch a cat you can just let it go. Skunks are easy to catch in live traps.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:24 PM

I wouldn't be snaring or trapping it with anything but a live trap if I were you. I can see the critter spraying all over the place when's he caught by the leg, etc. I did here that people who live box trap them drown them so as to not stink up the trap. Couldn't tell you how to get a boxed skunk to water without it spraying though. I did have a friend dispatch one under his porch. He was over a month with the smell lingering in the house!!! and would not do the same again. Good luck, Juniorpc.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:15 PM

conibear will kill him dead and the skin will be good.......if yo want
Old 03-01-2004, 05:00 PM

Default Live trap em

Get yourself a live trap, and bait it a can of sardines. After you capture the skunk. Cover the trap with a tarp, or piece of burlap, so it completely covers the trap. Then carry the little bugger to the nearest stream, river or lake and drown him. As long as the trap is covered and the skunk can't see you it won't spray. If you don't want to kill the skunk, drive him away and release him. But drowning is the best way to prevent him from returning.

Coyote Caller
Old 03-01-2004, 05:32 PM

Default RE: Live trap em

Just one bit to add to Coyote....Put your live trap inside a garbage bag first (leaving the entrance to the trap readily available). Once the skunk is caught, then you don't have to wrestle with the trap to contain it inside the bag. Once caught, they dont usually spray when they can't see.

Quick Reply: Attention>I NEED HELP!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.