Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

magpies

Old 02-25-2004, 09:46 PM

Default magpies

anyone ever gone after them? they can see so good i find them some of the best late summer shooting a .22 some cover a cattle feed bunk that they will come too (and sh** in) they are cat food but when their is a lot of them in the feed lot i like to try thats TRY to get a few.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: magpies

go for it.

i try to shoot starlings whenever i have the opportunity. they fly about as fast as a dove, and i like the offseason practice.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:31 AM

I shoot these little buggers like its goin out of style...they are a real pest here and will peck on our cattle.. I usually hittem with my 12 guage with either 4 or 7 1/2 shot. I like when we slaughter a beef then i push the gut pile in line with the opening of the barn door..then i sit in the barn and wait fot them to come and feast at which point i stick the gun out the door and blast them. We have so many here i usually won't shoot until i can get at least 2 lined up with one shot so i save on shells lol....personal best is 5 with one shot...also we dump all our table scraps out on our garden behind the house so they are constantly swaking out there...its pretty convienent to sneak my bedroom window open and let some lead fly at them.....Now this isn't a good idea in a heavily populated area or when someone in the house is one the phone lol.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:41 AM

what is a magpie??? does anyone have pics???
Old 02-28-2004, 12:58 PM

a magpie is a black bird with a large white patch. They would be around the same size as a sea gull. The are a scavenging bird and make one hell of an annoying swauk. They also have as few long black tail feathers........click this link then the magpie pic is about halfway down that page....enjoy.
http://www.classaves.co.uk/digiscoping_body.htm
Old 02-29-2004, 09:24 PM

yeah thats them they are as much of a pest as a crow, but love to live outside your bed room window and sh** in feed bunks
Old 03-01-2004, 02:31 PM

Here in Britain they are a major pest! we do anything to get rid of them but with their laser like eyes its satisfying when you get them. Here they nick game bird eggs (big problem for me) and they scavenge. kill as many as you can!
Old 03-01-2004, 04:08 PM

i was told they have a photo mind, they can look at you then get a photo in their mind and in a little bit they can get a new one then see if anything has moved, any one know if this is true?
Old 03-01-2004, 06:47 PM

not sure what u call it bambi but i believe it. Plenty of times i can't even sneak my bedroom curtain open to open the window and they see the movement and are gone. Real smart bird when they want to be.......
Old 03-04-2004, 11:58 PM

Heres an interesting tidbit...most birds process things they see five times faster than humans. If there related to the crow or raven then they probably do have a photographic memory.

turk