Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

whats this new .17 HMR like

Old 02-20-2004, 05:11 PM

Default whats this new .17 HMR like

greetings my northern internet friends. I live in QLD, AUS. curious about the .17 hmr. i own a jw15 in .22(i love it ). but past 50 yds it falls off.trade it for a .17,? i shoot hares for the table.[:-]
Old 02-20-2004, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: whats this new .17 HMR like

The 17 will be good out to 150 yards on hares. Its an awsome lil buggar that packs a big punch for being a lil pill. I think it would server your purpose well, give one a try, I seriously doubt you will regret it. My marlin 17 vs shoots like a dream.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:11 PM

The .17 hmr is a sweet caliber that makes any .22 rimfire look pathetic. You should be able to hit hares out to 200 yards with it and it is a very light gun. You won't regret buying one, but keep the .22 -.22's are fun guns to plink around with. Savage has a .17 hmr out for really cheap, it shoots great but isn't too pretty.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:30 PM

Savage has a .17 hmr out for really cheap, it shoots great but isn't too pretty.
You're not a big fan of the Savage .17 hmr's looks? That laminated SS model looks pretty sweet if you ask me. I wouldn't mind getting one myself.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:51 PM

Or if u wanna go single shot i have an alsome NEF sportser that will hold 10 shots under a dime no problem at 100 yrd .... thats with the new federals !
Old 03-03-2004, 08:01 PM

The big question is....17 or 22-250? Depending on which .17 you get the looks can be very pleasing. I had one guy tell me that he's accurate up to 250 yards....I didn't say anything. I'm proud to hold at 180.
There's a great video called "explodin varmits" check it out.

turk
Old 03-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the savage 17s look great. I like the fact that the clip doesnt hang out as far as it does on my marlin vs, of course it holds 2 rounds less i belive.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:47 PM

Don't get caught up in all this 17 cal stuff. Its new and some in experienced guys think its the living end. You can do better with a 22 mag. Get a Volquartsen 22 mag if you want a fine rifle. They can not be beat. 17 cal has a drop after 75 yards not 150 as some dope said.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get caught up in all this 17 cal stuff. Its new and some in experienced guys think its the living end. You can do better with a 22 mag. Get a Volquartsen 22 mag if you want a fine rifle. They can not be beat. 17 cal has a drop after 75 yards not 150 as some dope said.
Man, first of all, you've got a chip on your shoulder the size of a dreadnaught's keel, buddy. You remind me of the pubescent punk that I was at age 13. How old are you anyway? Because if you're much older than 16 I'd say that you should be ashamed of yourself for such adolecent behavior.

Secondly, I don't think that you understand external ballistics very well, since any bullet from any gun "has a drop" the instant is clears the crown of the muzzle. Just becase it's going away from the ground doesn't mean that gravity isn't accellerating it toward the ground. And from all the charts I've seen, the .17HMR shoots a heck of a lot flatter and is quite a bit more accurate than a typical .22WMR. And because it uses premium high BC varmint bullets (V-Max and TNT to name two) at high velocity it'll definately mess up anything from a groundhog on down out to 200 yards or more. I think that the .17HMR, of all the newest cartridges introduced in the last 5 years, is one of only a few that really fills a useful nitch and will probably not become obsolete in 10 years like so many other "new and improved" cartridges will. In fact, I can see the .22WMR becoming obsolecent in 10 years because of the .17HMR.

But hey, if you like your .22WMR so much, then shoot it, but don't bash others just because they choose to use a different, and in many ways superior cartridge.

From what I've seen of it, I think it's a nifty little short range light varminter. I resist the urge to buy one ever time I walk into Ganger Mtn. For $200 bucks it's hard to resist for a Savage .17HMR it's been tough to keep one from finding it's way into my safe!

Mike
Old 03-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Fork Horn

i shot a .17HMR for the first time the other day and now i want one BAD! talk about a flat shoting, and deadly accurate gun! it was the savage, which i thought was descent looking as well. shoots flatter than any .22, mag or LR and should be good for up to 200 yds. great gun that you will not regreat getting... if you have a 22 mag then they actually sell a kit with a barrel and you can use the same gun you already have, but you said you had an LR, so i am not sure about that... anyways, good luck!

Quick Reply: whats this new .17 HMR like

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.