Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

My first

Old 01-08-2004, 12:41 PM

Default My first

No not my first time doing that....sickos!

Last night, was gorgeous. About 10 degrees little snow on the ground full moon and no breeze. I went to a girl that works for me farm says shes loaded with coyotes. I start the call but didnt put out the decoy after about 20 minutes the first coyote I have ever called is coming across the field. I had to guns with me my shot gun with 00 buck and my .223. I opted for the shot gun since I thought it would come into range. At about 75yds it hung up and was looking for the source of the noise...dammit I knew i should have brought the decoy from the car. Well I took a crack at it, hit it but nothing to draw any blood that I could find.

So I went over to my buddies and he took me to a few spots, set up near a river bottom with the caller and the decoy...about 3 minutes later I shot my first red fox during a calling session just before it jumped on the decoy. I wont be able to get any pics up in the near future but it was a good mature male.

I have shot coyotes and fox when we are running them or driving them but in a few tries calling this was the first time anything surfaced.....Im going back out tonight for sure!
Old 01-08-2004, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My first

No not my first time doing that....sickos!
[X(]

Hey congrats man. It's a rush calling ain't it?
Old 01-08-2004, 05:03 PM

hey good luck tonight , let us know how you make out and dont forget the decoy!
Old 01-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Right on. Let us know how it goes[:-]
Old 01-09-2004, 07:10 AM

Well I got home from work and got cleaned up and headed out. Still had a little bit of ambient light from the day time. Set up the caller and decoy this time, stepped back into the berry bushes and sat behind a stump. Called for 30 minutes and each minute more and more clouds rolled in. I could barely make out my decoy less than 30 yds in front of me on a snow covered field. Thought at one point I saw some movement but who knows. Nothing showed in the 30 minutes. Decided without a light was too dark. Went home relaxed for a while. Let the pup out about 9:30 and was bright as hell out. Bummer....I have real good permission to hunt them where I do, but I have never spoken to them about coming out there late at night. Its a farm and without getting a hold of them first I didnt want to cause trouble by maybe waking them up with a shot while they are sleeping. Will check into that by next full moon for sure.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

that's a bummer you didnt get anything. good luck next time..try to bring a camera for the next one too [:-]
Old 01-11-2004, 02:56 PM

i want to try coyote hunting but im afraid that what if one came up next to me and saw me and attacked me before i saw it...are you guys in a tree stand or do u use sentlok or something??? and what decoys do you use???
Old 01-12-2004, 07:39 AM

It would be getting shot at way before it ever got close enough to chew on me!!!

Really its a little nerving at times your first couple when its darker than hell out and your doing some calling but nothing major. I use a rigor rabbit decoy and call with a tape. I set the decoy out about 35-50 yds in front of me, right in shot gun range. They will respond to the noise and see the decoy and assume thats where its coming from, they will be focused on that, and ya just pick it off....lol, not quite that easy.
found another real good helpfull site
www.predatormasters.com
Old 01-12-2004, 07:51 AM

Don't worry about a coyote attacking you. They are more afraid of you than you are of them.