Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

squirels?

Old 01-04-2004, 03:29 PM

Default squirels?

I am new to small game hunting i mostly deer hunted and was hearing that people are eating squirels and was wondering what kind of squirels you ate. I live in maine and all i know about is the red and grey squirels. Is there a different kind or do you eat one of them? Any information will be a help i dont really want to eat the wrong thing lol.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:58 PM

Default andy_o

If your choice of squirrels is between the Red (pine squirrel) and the eastern grey. The choice is simple, go for the grey's. Not only are they bigger, they taste a whole lot better. Good luck hunting and be safe

coyote Caller
Old 01-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: andy_o

Coyote caller is confused as reds are about 1.5 times the size of any grey. I havent noticed a difrence in taste between greys or reds and eat both varieties. Just shoot them in the head with your 22lr and stick them in a frying pan, good stuff!
Old 01-05-2004, 02:13 PM

Default I don't think so!!!

Treedog:
I will disagree with you this time. The red or pine squirrel is NOT 1.5 times bigger than the grey squirrel. Look it up. The red squirrel or pine squirrel which favor pine forest, and feed heavily on pine seeds is the smallest of the tree squirrels. The scientific name for the pine squirrel is (TAMIASCIURUS HUDSONICUS) it is a northern squirrel ranging from Alaska through canada, and a lot of the north eastern and mid-western states. Maine and Michigan are two of the states with a large population of red squirrels. I am from Michigan and I can personally tell you the red squirrel is not bigger. You might be thinking of the fox squirrel. which has a reddish brown coloration and a lot of people call a red squirrel. The fox squirrel IS 1.5 times bigger than the grey.
Sorry but your wrong this time.

Coyote Caller
Old 01-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I don't think so!!!

The reds are bigger than the greys in NC, and the fox are bigger than both.

Our red may not be the same "breed" you mentioned.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:26 PM

Coyote hunter:
Take it easy, don’t hyperventilate. There might be cross breeds, or habitat, that make a certain species larger/smaller from state to state.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:04 PM

I live in maine and know that our greys are way bigger than reds. We have two around our house that are bigger than my cat. If you have red squirrels bigger than our greys than i would love to see a pic of them. Anyways thanks for the information, I take it that you can eat both so ill have to give them a try.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:22 AM

Default Idaho hunter.....

I'm not hyperventilating or trying to get into some mass argument with anyone here. But what I was trying to tell tree dog was just fact. I have also hunted Maine, and I know the squirrels that andy_o is talking about. Why is everyone being so offensive is beyond me. I'm sure in different states people call certain animals by different names. Just as they do fish. Example is the bream, I have never heard of a bream until I went to live in Arkansas. I was fishing for bream, and catching nothing but sunfish and bluegills. Then I was told they were all bream. Go figure. Sorry If I offended anyone here.

Coyote caller
Old 01-06-2004, 07:30 AM

Default Here is a picture of the red squirrel

This is a picture of the red squirrel I was talking about...They're just about 1.5 times bigger than a chimpmunk. Again sorry if I offended anyone.

Old 01-06-2004, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Here is a picture of the red squirrel

No offense here. I'll see if I can get a pic of a red and grey together from NC.

Quick Reply: squirels?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.