Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Why Dump On Rocks?

Old 01-04-2002, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why Dump On Rocks?

I noticed today when I was out in the woods, that there was a bunch of poop on a trail, and almost every pile was on a rock. Why is that? I'm pretty sure most of it was yote poop, but some may have been coon too. Why was more of it on rocks, then on the ground? Does it mean anything. Am I just paranoid about dump or what? lol
Old 01-04-2002, 02:31 PM

Default RE: Why Dump On Rocks?

If you figure it out let me know. I've seen the same thing and had the same question.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

i'm not realy sure why either but its problably a visaul territory marker of sorts.who knows it may be as simple as its easyer to dump on a rock then on the ground.
Old 01-05-2002, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do quite a bit of coon hunting, usually go out 2 nights a week, take maybe 4-16 coons in both nights. I cover a lot of ground in the creek, and almost all of the coon poop that I find is either on a log or a rock. I can't tell you why they do it like that, maybe so that they know where it is, if they pooped on the ground, they'd step in it sometimes. Just a thought, but I have noticed that on some logs there will be all kinds of poop, from coons to squirrels, to yotes to bobcats, all on the same poop log.

GOTTA LOVE THAT MARLIN MAGIC!!!!
Old 01-05-2002, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now that I think a little on it, I'd imagine that coons and yotes etc. all poop on elevated stuff because they are kinda vulnerable while dumping. It's a thought? Or maybe it's because it's easier to find stuff like rocks and logs to remark their territory?? I don't know, just a thought?

GOTTA LOVE THAT MARLIN MAGIC!!!!
Old 01-05-2002, 05:18 PM

Speaking of being vulnerable while...

A few years ago a friend of mine was on a hillside in Montana watching a little herd of deer walk along a path on the opposite hillside. Following them was a coyote. The coyote squatted down to do his thing and my friend decided to take him right there. He missed with his .270 and said he must have hit the pile 'cause there was coyote poop flying all over the place. He said the coyote was in view for over a mile and never did stop running all that way. He was laughing too hard to even think about taking a second shot.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:47 PM
Spike

From the book: The Complete Tracker - Tracks, signs, and habits of North American Wildlife comes the following
Bobcats, Coyotes, and Coons leave visible scentposts of Scat(poop) and urine. They freshen these often on a daily basis. In the book it discusses scat being left on prominent trees, rocks, trails etc....So it seems that these are for others to know "who dat goes there"
Old 01-07-2002, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I guess that answers my long lost wonderment on Yote and Coon poop! Now if you see a deer do this on a log,rock - there's a big Why For? All kidding aside - some good info to know,and why.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:18 PM

maybe it is cause where you are at there are a lot of rocks?
Old 01-08-2002, 08:28 PM

You guys may not have noticed, house cats do this all the time. Cement driveways, house porches and so on - - - time to DUNGIT.

Personally, I think it is to insult someone (fellow creature or human) dung left means so 'n so is defying something in a territorial dispute. e.g. All KATS in my area know I am a KAT killer from day one.
Whatever walkway routes I use have my scent and local KATS will slide in on the sly, plant their dung aside my normal walkway or route in walking.
go figure, is all I can add
nohunt

Quick Reply: Why Dump On Rocks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.