Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Skulls, bones, and taxedermy???

Old 01-04-2002, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Skulls, bones, and taxedermy???

I've taken a new interest in mounting my game, but I don't want to spend $100+ to get a squirrel mounted, or a coon. I'm looking to make a gun rack for our mantle to hold my old man and I's .22's and mount some coon heads and squirrels above the guns. I know how to tan the masks and all, but I want to mount the masks back on the original skulls, then build up the "meat" to fit the mask again with like styrofoam or clay or something. How do you all remove the meat and brains and all that, then bleach the skulls??? I've heard that some people bury them, but I know that bones break down and discolor when you bury them, and I've heard that some people hang them in trees to rot out, but it's freezing outside, will they still rot?? How do you bleach bones??? What "eyes" would you recomend for varmints??

GOTTA LOVE THAT MARLIN MAGIC!!!!
Old 01-04-2002, 02:33 PM

Default RE: Skulls, bones, and taxedermy???

I have a grat article on skull cleaning that has been scanned on two .jpgs. Send me an email and I will send them by return. The method works great and gives you a white, clean smelling skull. [email protected]
Old 01-04-2002, 07:14 PM

My uncle has a very large skull collection that cosists of every thing from little mice skulls, to bear skulls and all he does is boil the whole head of the animal for about half an hour. Then you take a pair of pliers and pick off all the meat, to get the brains out you will have to use a long pick or something and try to get the brains out through the hole where the neck would usually connect at the base of the skull. Once you get all the meat off you boile the skull again with a little bit of bleach. This method takes a while to do but it works great. If you try to rot the meat off you will usually end up losing teeth on the skull and it doesn't look very attractive. I hope this helped. P.S: When boiling the skull sometimes it actully smells like someones cooking something pretty good, just don't try and eat it.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:27 PM

I would counsel against using any bleach. It's real easy to use too much and degrade the bone.