Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Predetor chokes.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:06 AM
Spike

Default Predetor chokes.

I have a Carlson's Coyote choke for my shotgun. They claim that it can be used for predator and turkeys (which is why I bought it plus it was on sale) now my choke measures .662 constriction. The package and website says that it's safe to shoot T and #4 buckshot loads. I was always told that buckshot wasn't safe to shoot out of anything tighter than modified and maybe full choke. Can someone please shed some light on this. The package also says "best patterns achieved with T and Buckshot loads also makes an great turkey choke."
Old 11-22-2020, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Why don't you call them and find out for sure? Here's a #.

Old 11-23-2020, 06:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Why don't you call them and find out for sure? Here's a #.

Thanks. I'll call and ask and let you guys know what they said.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:44 AM
Spike

So i called them and they said that it is safe to shoot #4 buckshot. They also said that once you get to your bigger buck pellets (00&000) then it becomes unsafe to shoot, and you can shoot #1 buck but the pattern may not be very good due to the pellets deforming but #1 buck is pushing the limit of the choke and could be unsafe to shoot so pretty much it's a T, and #4 buckshot only choke ( and maybe some #3 buckshot reloads) as well as a turkey choke. 00 and 000 is recommended thru their buckshot specific choke.