Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Nutria

Old 03-10-2019, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Huntley
I just thought of another question what are some ways to get them out of the burrows besides what you have already said?
We were part of an eradication effort, so pretty much anything was on the table. I often thought if I ran out of tear gas, I'd use a flammable liquid and light a little fire in the burrow entrance. Like I mentioned there is often an entrance near the water and emergency exit higher than the entrance, which is likely to make a decent chimney effect.

The best luck I had was walking the banks and looking for sign. The sign isn't subtle, a lot of vegetation knocked down, bald spots where there shouldn't be any. You can see where they entered and exited the water a lot, they leave drag paths or slides.
I'd find a likely area and set up my folding chair with a good view of the Creek. They are often almost as busy as a Beaver. More busy at night, but often out in the daylight also. Best guess is they have a poor digestive system and eat a lot.
In the spring I set out rafts for the Ducks to feed, a safer place for the Ducklings so the Fox don't pick them off so easy. The Nutria often feed off the rafts, I wish I had a good .22 my ,223 explodes them, a shotgun tears up the raft.
Lovage really draws them. I have some plots of Lovage away from the Creek. I cut it, crush it and spread it on the bank in places with a relatively slow current or still water, it sends up a really strong Celery smell. Fermented Corn stalk silage also works, so does rotting Vegies. I've walked up on a feeding spot and seen 4 or more Nutrias chowing down.
If you sit still they don't see you, if you make a sound they are gone. They also hear/feel your footsteps through the earth, they can be hard to sneak up on. They have good ears.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
We were part of an eradication effort, so pretty much anything was on the table. I often thought if I ran out of tear gas, I'd use a flammable liquid and light a little fire in the burrow entrance. Like I mentioned there is often an entrance near the water and emergency exit higher than the entrance, which is likely to make a decent chimney effect.

The best luck I had was walking the banks and looking for sign. The sign isn't subtle, a lot of vegetation knocked down, bald spots where there shouldn't be any. You can see where they entered and exited the water a lot, they leave drag paths or slides.
I'd find a likely area and set up my folding chair with a good view of the Creek. They are often almost as busy as a Beaver. More busy at night, but often out in the daylight also. Best guess is they have a poor digestive system and eat a lot.
In the spring I set out rafts for the Ducks to feed, a safer place for the Ducklings so the Fox don't pick them off so easy. The Nutria often feed off the rafts, I wish I had a good .22 my ,223 explodes them, a shotgun tears up the raft.
Lovage really draws them. I have some plots of Lovage away from the Creek. I cut it, crush it and spread it on the bank in places with a relatively slow current or still water, it sends up a really strong Celery smell. Fermented Corn stalk silage also works, so does rotting Vegies. I've walked up on a feeding spot and seen 4 or more Nutrias chowing down.
If you sit still they don't see you, if you make a sound they are gone. They also hear/feel your footsteps through the earth, they can be hard to sneak up on. They have good ears.
thank you again