Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Illinois Squirrel Hunting

Old 11-20-2018, 03:06 PM
Spike

Default Illinois Squirrel Hunting

A couple of things:

I was just told that it is illegal to hunt squirrels with a .22 in Illinois. I can't find any prohibition on doing so except in some public areas that I never use anyway. Given that I used .22s already this year, this came as a surprise. Frankly, I've never hunted squirrel with anything but a .22, and would stop hunting them if I had to change to a shotgun. Anyone have reliable information on this?

Second thing. What is going on with the overwhelming invasion of these small, grey squirrels taking over? I shoot them, but don't eat them. Does anyone eat them? I assume they are overwhelming the fox squirrels that are delicious. Is every squirrel hunter in Illinois experiencing this, or is it just the area of the state (Sangamon County) I'm in.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Gray squirrels cook up great. Smaller than fox squirrels, but good tasting.

Not sure about your regulations question

-Jake
Old 11-20-2018, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on seasons and areas. Some conservation areas are shotgun and air rifle only. During the firearms deer season it may also be illegal to use a 22.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

From Page 12 of the Illinois Hunting and Trapping Digest 2018/2019.....

It's in .pdf form on the dnr.illinois.gov website.

Can I use a center fire rifle for hunting in Illinois? Or handguns?
A: The following species may be harvested with a rifle or handgun: coyote, striped
skunk, woodchuck, squirrel, rabbit, raccoon, opossum and red and gray fox. We
do not regulate the caliber of handgun or rifle that may be used, except on state owned
or managed areas, which normally allow only the use of shotguns or .22
caliber rifles. Squirrel, furbearers and woodchuck hunters may use a .17 caliber
rifle on some state-owned or managed areas. No rifles may be possessed in the
field, however, during firearm deer season except that trappers may carry a .22
rifle to dispatch animals during firearm deer season. Certain handguns are lawful
for deer hunting.
At all times when in possession of firearms, hunters must comply with all firearms
regulations as outlined in the Illinois Criminal Code.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:18 AM
Spike

You can hunt squirrels with a .22 caliber during regular ole hunting season. Hell, I hunt with a Ruger Mark II with a bull barrel which is semi auto here in Ogle County. I teach Hunter Safety here in Illinois, a .22 is a legal rimfire cartridge......al