Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Guinea Fowl Problem

Old 06-02-2018, 09:27 AM
Spike

Default Guinea Fowl Problem

Hi all,

I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

This is my first post, I'm new to the forums here. Thanks for having me. I'm more of a slug or rifle hunter, and I'm unfamiliar with shot sizes and their uses.

So this is less of a hunting issue than it is an extermination issue.

My mom lives in Amish country PA. She has some Guinea Fowl messing up her garden. The birds don't belong to anybody. There are a dozen of them.

I have an 870 with a full choke, and I have three boxes of shells. The shells I have are #4 shot, #8 shot, and #9 shot.

My question is this, Assuming these birds are as stupid as people say, and I can get the jump on them, Which shells would be best suited to killing all of these bastards and why?

Thanks much!
Old 06-02-2018, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would make sure no one owns them before you start shooting them. They probably belong to one of your mother's Amish neighbors. You may want to knock on some neighbor's doors before you"GottaKillThem All". It is pretty common for Guineas to be allowed to wonder. The up side is they will eat a lot of garden insects and they also eat a lot of ticks.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Head shoot 'em with #4's or 6's. #8 and 9 is pretty small and may not get to vitals.
And by the way, they are excellent eating. I prefer them to chicken.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:48 AM
Spike

Good eating you say? Maybe I'll bring a cooler along. They're about chicken size?

Truth is they belong to the family across the way but they've abandoned them because they left their property. They won't own up to it though because they suck in general.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GottaKillemAll
Good eating you say? Maybe I'll bring a cooler along. They're about chicken size?

Truth is they belong to the family across the way but they've abandoned them because they left their property. They won't own up to it though because they suck in general.

Thanks for the help.
Before you eat them all. Consider they eat as many ticks as possum, and they also sound an alarm if predators including the two legged variety show up. I planted a small flock in the woods where I run my dog a lot and it's really helped with the ticks. I bought mine off of craigslist.

But any of the shells you have will do fine.