Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First hunt ever!

Old 01-25-2018, 10:18 AM
Spike

Default First hunt ever!

Hi all, I'm new to the forum, and new to hunting as well. I always loved shooting, and even downed a few birds when I was a little kid, but never had the equipment or chance to properly go hunting.

Well, that finally changed.

I now have a .22 (Marlin Model 60 - My Dad gave me his that he bought around the time I was born. Cleaned it up, fixing the jamming issue it had and put on a really nice Boyd SS Evolution stock. Love the gun and the accuracy!)

My Father-In-Law gave me his 12ga shotgun this year as he is no longer able to hunt. Cleaned it up, fixed a ding in the shell tube that was jamming, and it works great!

Anywho, one of the guys from my church asked me if I wanted to go squirrel hunting last Sunday. Of course, I said "Yes"!

We went out for about 4 hours, but the place was pretty dead. Saw one squirrel cross the path when we arrived, but other than that one, nothing....

Finally heard one in a tree. Followed the noise and located it. Took aim, squeezed, and bam - my first kill. Headshot right behind the ear! It took him longer than I thought to relax and let go of the tree. Thought I was going to have to climb for it.

That was the only one we go that day, but I was just as happy since it was my first ever hunt.

Took it home, cleaned and gutted it while my 8 year-old Daughter shot the video on my phone. She is my tomboy out of the others, and she did great!

Cooked it up the next evening when I got home from work, and let me tell you, that was one of the tastiest things I have ever eaten. The liver was hands down one of the best I have ever had!

Now I am hooked. I plan to go out this weekend and every chance I get between now and the end of the season. Kinda bummed I got a late start, but now that I know how to go about getting the license, where I can hunt, etc., I am going to be doing this for the rest of my life as long as I am able!
Old 01-25-2018, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Fun isn't it? I started at age 14, that was 51 years ago...
Old 01-25-2018, 12:11 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by toytruck
Fun isn't it? I started at age 14, that was 51 years ago...
Yes, it is!
Old 01-26-2018, 09:01 AM
Spike

Nothing more fun than your first kill isn't it?! That's just the start of an endless chase of hunts and you'll realize the basics of form, skill, ammo and strategy counts altogether. https://outdoorempire.com/picking-be...ing-treestand/
Old 01-26-2018, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

ah hah -- the bug gotcha.. I started soon as I was strong enough to pick up and aim my BB gun .. still live for it about 100 years later
Old 02-03-2018, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum and to the hunting world! Careful, it's very addicting! Work on getting your daughter out there next year!

What state do you hunt in?

We have a squirrel contest at the top of this page if you're interested. Just for fun, a place to share pictures.

-Jake
Old 03-03-2018, 02:33 PM
Spike

Gotta love those Tree rats :-)