Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
2018 Squirrel Contest Suggestion(Need your input!) >

2018 Squirrel Contest Suggestion(Need your input!)

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

2018 Squirrel Contest Suggestion(Need your input!)

Old 12-20-2017, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Default 2018 Squirrel Contest Suggestion(Need your input!)

Hey everyone. Looking for some input.

The squirrel contest will reset at the turn of the year.

For 2017 we had:

10 members in the contest.
5 members actively posting squirrel photos
95 squirrel posted so far as of 12/20/17
11 pages of posts
106 replies

I think that's a successful thread even if our hunter numbers were lower than usual.

I enjoy running this thread even if I don't get out for squirrel as much as I used to.

So..... your input. Should we keep things as they are? Split into teams and post photos while keeping track of the numbers. Or would people like to see something different? Here's some possible options...

In the past I've had suggestions to include other small game and assign a score. This is difficult due to regional differences.... In my area I almost never see rabbit so for me, that should be scored high... But somewhere else they might have tons of rabbits and no squirrel, so squirrel should be assigned a higher value...

People have suggested a combined small game/predator/trapping contest with points assigned to various things all the way up to the big predators etc. Again, the main problem with this is how to work out the scoring.

Would you rather just have a photo thread? This would work, but I think people would be less inclined to share their photos if we aren't keeping track.

Or should I keep things as they are and continue to run the squirrel contest as we have been?

Let me know your thoughts if you have any...

-Jake
Old 12-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

It think LONGHUNTER should be the only one on his team. Him vs the rest of us squirrel hunters, it might be more competitive that way.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

John, Longhunter is a squirrel killing machine. I enjoy squirrel hunting, but it seems to be his passion, like some people might have for duck or pheasant hunting.

I'm going to get at least one before the 2017 squirrel contest ends! I bought a crossbow last offseason, so most of the time I used to spend squirrel hunting I started spending deer hunting. Well I finally got a second with the xbow on Tuesday, freezer soon to be full, so now I can finally devote some energy to squirrel hunting.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

I need to take pictures and post my squirrels.