Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
How to Build a Colony Trap for Muskrats >

How to Build a Colony Trap for Muskrats

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How to Build a Colony Trap for Muskrats

Old 10-15-2017, 12:02 PM
Spike

Default How to Build a Colony Trap for Muskrats

Colony traps are great tools for adding bigger numbers of fur to your trapline when used properly, and in this video we'll show you just how simple they are to make.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

You should add a caution that colony traps are not legal in every state. They are not legal in PA. They are also counter productive to furbearer management because they can wipe out entire populations.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You should add a caution that colony traps are not legal in every state. They are not legal in PA. They are also counter productive to furbearer management because they can wipe out entire populations.
That'd be at the 9:40 mark in plain English
Old 10-15-2017, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I didn't watch it because I do not watch web site instruction, because it is one person's opinion and many times only legal in a few states and in this case counter to responsible furbearer management.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-15-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:13 PM
Spike

Sooooo then why chime in at all? I mean why say I should do something when in fact you never took the time to find out if it's even there to begin with? Kind of a waste of your night nitpicking a post when the info was already there, now isn't it?
Old 10-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Spike

While some places could (and should) ban colony traps due too low numbers of rats, we have an extremely high population of them. I'd never advocate the use of them when in an area with low numbers. In fact trappers as a whole should pay attention to the populations in their area and adjust their trapping based on what they see. Prime example. I don't see many ref fox in ANY of the areas I trap, so when I do catch them, they get a free pass from me. Coyotes on the other hand, along with rats and beaver, will get a ride home in the truck because we literally have a ton of them, and not as many trappers as you'd think. So in this case, and in my areas, colony traps are not a population killer like you may think.