Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

4-7 a good Friday

Old 04-08-2017, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking 4-7 a good Friday

Eric called me on Thursday amid some wild weather going on’s saying he had a home to show on the lake near me Friday at 10:00 AM. You want to do a bit of coyote hunting before I have to meet the couple? Sure would be fine I’ll be ready by 5:30 on. He comes rolling down my drive and rattled the bell beside the door at 6:30, I let him in and asked if he wanted some tea or breakfast which he declined.

We load my gear in his SUV and head down the road to the place about a mile my house. We had hunted there recently but had one get away from us so thought just maybe. We park and get dressed is a chilly 33F with a wind chill of 24F, north wind had a good bite to it. There was a light snow covering on the ground also as we walked down the lane and got all set up.
We start with a coyote challenge bark and got a reply almost a soon as the sound of our howl ended. Moved on to a coyote talk sound that runs 5 minutes and may be what turned off the coyote that had replied to the challenge bark. We were there 30 minutes before we packed up and left the area without seeing a thing.

We moved on to a farm about 20 miles away, we haven’t hunted there in some time for some reason. Ok really the reason is it is hard to work out a good route to and from there that makes for a good route to get in a lot of hunting quickly and not much driving. We walkout the main drive to the fields about 300 yrds back towards a wood lot that was clear cut about 6 years ago so is really brushy. We get set up about 100 yrds from the woods and start out the call with a distressed chicken which the farmer has free rangers of, that went into the chicken with a yappy dog chasing them. At 6 minutes we see a coyote in Eric zone that didn’t come from the woods you could tell from where is stood. Figure it must have come up a drainage ditch, and was only 60 to 70 yrds out when Eric shot it. We wait a little longer and nothing else showed, got back and loaded the coyote in the SUV and said Eric had better return me home with the coyote and go show his house.

Got back to my house about 9:30 and unloaded my gear and his coyote which I skinned and sewed up a bit later for him. The house he was showing was only a bit over a half mile down the road from me on the west side of the lake.
He had several more showings that day to do and going to meet with people thinking about listing and selling when the school year ended. So coyote hunting was over for me for the day I thought.

Along about 5:00 PM I decide to grab my gear and go back behind my place where I had the coyote hang up a while back. Wind had calmed down a bit from the early morning 13 MPH by my weather station to a mear 5MPH. I had to change my set up area because of the wind direction, but a huge old maple in the middle of the last years soy bean field made a good wind block and gave a good view of the area. Well before I arrived there I ran the siren and had some coyotes yelling for it to stop so I knew they were still in the area.

Ok I really like the piglet in distress sound so I start with that one. Isn't but a couple of minutes I see a coyote sneaking along the edge of the field looking toward my decoy. I let it sneak a bit more and let the Swift do it's job. Quickly run the hurt coyote sound and wait a bit more and about 15 minutes later, when I decided to pack it in I see a couple of coyotes crossing from one wooded finger to another finger to get closer to where the original coyote was laying. They stopped about 250 yds out and I fired at the trailing coyote, but the lead coyote ran into the brush and was not seen again.

I go and gather my gear and unpack the plastic for the tough drag back. By the time I got to my line fence I had enough, Parked them and went to the house and fired up a tractor to go back for them.
All in all a good day.

Al