Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
IR Hunter MKIII Thermal Sight and $2 Coyote >

IR Hunter MKIII Thermal Sight and $2 Coyote

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

IR Hunter MKIII Thermal Sight and $2 Coyote

Old 01-18-2017, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default IR Hunter MKIII Thermal Sight and $2 Coyote

I purchased a preChristmas thermal scope for myself and have just recently started taking hogs and coyotes with it. As it has more magnification than most thermal rifle scopes, it has the potential to be a good, longer range performer. It works well enough at short range, save for the narrow FOV.

I was out Monday night and got a chance video some animals at distances I could calculate fairly accurately via Google Earth and the results are shown at the start of the video.

I also had a coyote come in that I watched for right at 10 minutes before shooting. I was on a ridge that partially bisects the large field I was watching. I had set up a caller up wind from me on the west side, but the coyote came in from the east, not due to the caller, but just happened to be cruising through. I tried turning up the volume and different calls, but she hardly seemed to take notice and my guess is that she could not hear the caller very well because she was on the opposite side of the ridge from it. Fortunately, she closed the distance on my and I was able to shoot.

The first shot turned out to be quite good, entering the right shoulder, breaking the shoulder, and exiting about 18" back on the opposite side. While she dropped in place, to my surprise, she was soon trying to get back on her feet. A second shot through the neck quieted her for good.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

Nice video! That thermal imaging really does the trick.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, almost to the point of being too good, LOL. Here, on the first yote, I didn't realize he was as far away as he was and so the bullet was low/short. The coyote was greater than 260 yards away. The second yote wasn't a problem.