Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Best varmint round?

Old 10-15-2016, 10:07 AM
Spike

Default Best varmint round?

I'm wondering what the best all around round for shooting varmint (digger squirrel and wood pecker, sometimes coyote in my case).
The cartridge I'm really curious about is the 17HMR. How does it compare to a 22lr?
Also I read that either a 410 shotgun or a 20 gauge with size 6 brass would be a good option.
Honestly Im overwhelmed by all the choices so any help narrowing it down would be appreciated
Old 10-15-2016, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Honestly, you should scroll through the topics in this forum and its' 2 reference sub-forums. Each forum will have some of the information you're looking for and in some of the reference forums, you will find a great deal of technical info that is very useful in making these kinds of decisions.

Your profile doesn't list your state and that can have a large impact on what is legal in your state and thus what members might recommend for you. You also didn't mention any of the terrain, distances, etc. you face or what type of hunting method you're considering (i.e. stand hunting, spot and stalk, still hunting, using mouth, hand or electronic calls, etc.). If you could post this information, it would help members give you more precise suggestions and recommendations.

In general, you could use almost any caliber for a ground squirrel or woodpecker but would want something with more power for a coyote. It's deer and bear season right now so most people are using calibers they use for that game to shoot any coyotes they see. If I were only hunting coyote, I would use a .223 as it offers a lot of performance over a pretty wide range (not all coyotes come in close).

Hopefully this helps some and welcome aboard.

p.s. I forgot to mention that there really isn't one single best varmint rounds for all varmints and sometimes not even for the same varmint. depends on the terrain, conditions, type of hunting and the hunter.

Last edited by CalHunter; 10-15-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 2 favorite cartridges for varmint are 220 swift and .22-250. Both are fairly rough on barrel throats. ESPECIALLY when I take them on P-Dog shoots. If I'm in a highly populated colony, even switching out rifles to let one cool, I've been known to burn out the throat on my barrels on one hunt.

As Cal put it though, there are many mitigating factors for your choice of varmint weapon. If I'm going to be shooting at yotes past 300-400 yards, I'll break out the 7mm-08 or the .243 that I have set up for longer range shooting. If I'm calling in the hills where my shots wont be past 40 or so yards, I use the 12 gauge and have one of the rifles on standby for that past 40 yards shot that seems to always come because I suck with a shotgun Sad aint it? I can bang a 16 inch gong at 800 yards all day with a couple of my .243's yet can't hit the broad side of a damn barn from the INSIDE with a shotty!
Old 10-15-2016, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

The 223 Remington is probably one of the best all-around varmint rounds.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Wood peckers are listed as song birds in my state and you can not legally shoot them.

As said no best of varmint round. Were it me I would stay away from any rim fire ammo.
If I were interested in a 17 I would go with a 17 hornet, 17WSM.
I would not pass up a 204 either.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 10-20-2016 at 03:40 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll jump out of the gate with this: Most folks will recommend a centerfire cartridge for any kind of hunting - which largely IS necessary for coyotes/fox/bobcat and larger - but for what it seems you're looking to do, you'll be fine with a rimfire.

When you say Varmints, many of us immediately think of shooting coyotes at 250yrds or blasting prairie dogs out as far as we can hit them. It doesn't sound like that's what you're looking to do. Looks like you're looking for a handy little small game gun to carry in the woods and work on hunting & marksmanship skills by hunting small game. A 22LR would do just fine in this role as well, with the best ammo availability and lowest cost of any of them. The 17HMR DOES have a bit more range and power, and is also a great choice.

Originally Posted by Vuk0321
I'm wondering what the best all around round for shooting varmint (digger squirrel and wood pecker, sometimes coyote in my case).
The cartridge I'm really curious about is the 17HMR. How does it compare to a 22lr?
The .17HMR will be fine for short range small game busting. It's too small for coyotes. Great for rabbits, crow, squirrel, etc. I LOVE the round in both the Savage 93 and Taurus Tracker for small game blasting.

The .17HMR is the same cartridge case as a 22 mag (win mag rimfire), only necked down to a 17 caliber bullet. Both of which are much more powerful and flatter shooting than the 22 Long Rifle.

Originally Posted by Vuk0321
Also I read that either a 410 shotgun or a 20 gauge with size 6 brass would be a good option.
A 20ga or .410 is a fine option also, again, for short range busting. Not "size 6 brass," but size 6 shot. The .410 is too small for coyotes, but the 20ga is a reasonable choice.

Other options:

The 22mag is a great option for these small game species as well. With heavier bullets than the 17HMR, it hits harder than the 17HMR at range. Still too small for coyotes.

If you want to step up a little more in power, a .17WSM is a viable option. Still too small for coyotes, but good for 250yrds+ on small game like rabbits and squirrels, assuming you're able to connect on target.

If you're really thinking coyotes will be a common target, then you DO need to step up to a centerfire round. The 223rem is quite likely the ideal coyote cartridge, although it's very much over powered for bunnies and squirrels. Ammo is cheap and easy to find.

The 22 Hornet is a good option, a little less overkill than the 223rem, but still enough punch to take down coyotes at short range. Ammo is still pretty cheap, and still easy to find.

Larger cartridges like 220 swift, 22-250, 243win, etc are more expensive, more powerful, and really would be more power than you need.

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Were it me I would stay away from any rim fire ammo.

If I were interested in a 17 I would go with a ... 17WSM.
17WSM is a Rimfire round.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Problem with rim fires is finding ammo at a reasonable price in a consist manner. I never had a reloading supply problem.

Since nothing was/has been done with the Donald I don't see ammo as some thing easy to get for a while again.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 10-19-2016 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

For here in So. Il we are rather closely populated so I lean towards the hotter 22's, 220 Swift and 22-250, with 50-55grn Ballistic Tips for non-ricocheting shots. Really opens up in 'yote!!!! I drive them in the 3800-3900fps range and they really shoot well and are VERY 'yote unfriendly!!! I don't collect pelts so I don't care what kind of damage they do.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most people would say the .223 when coyotes are in the mix; considering that you are shooting a lot ($$$) and the ammo is readily available.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Most people would say the .223 when coyotes are in the mix; considering that you are shooting a lot ($$$) and the ammo is readily available.
Tru that. I guess it would depend on where you are hunting and are planning on keeping the pelts. Any of the centerfire 22's are good choices. I pop'em n drop'em. Pull them to the nearest ditch and let the others know whats in store for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.