Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
What is the strangest thing that has happened to you while squirrel hunting? >

What is the strangest thing that has happened to you while squirrel hunting?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Default What is the strangest thing that has happened to you while squirrel hunting?

3 seasons ago I shot at a squirrel. I missed.
It ran up to another limb, I shoot, it's a hit.
It falls, and when I pick it up it's tail is gone.
The first shot, cut it's tail off right at the base of it's hindend.
I never found the tail.
So what strange things has happened to you while squirrel hunting?
Old 09-25-2016, 04:50 AM
Spike

Didn't happen to me per say but I was squirrel hunting with my other many years ago on our property. He shot one with the shotgun as it was running through the trees. Got a good hit on him but he still had some life in him. As he s flopping / running down the hill an owl swooped in and grabbed it an took off.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just happened 2 weeks ago. Shot the same squirrel 2 times. I knocked a big red outta top a hickory tree with the 22. Heard the "POP". I shoot sub-sonics, saw him swing under the branch n hang, blood pouring outta its nose. Drops. Nothing. Go to pick it up 5 mins later. Takes off running!!!! Goes thru the fence that I just crossed and back up into heavy brush. I look for 10-15mins. Nothing. I move down the deer path about 25 yds. Looking around and just happen to notice thru a 18" hole in the tree limbs a squirrel laying head down a walnut branch, about 20 feet up. I move around and pop him. Go pick him up and find it was the same one with a blown off jaw and big nick on his shoulder. 2nd shot was in the ear, just where I aimed.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

I carry a .22 Ruger pistol with me while hunting squirrel with the White shotgun in case of a close shot or to finish up a shot that sometimes a long shotgun shot won't completely kill.

I was walking in a woods one morning when a gray squirrel came up a hickory tree about 15 feet to me and sat on a limb. I got the pistol, loaded with roundnose ammo, took the shot an he dropped, then ran off like he wasn't even hit!!

So I wait a few minutes then start walking further an a gray squirrel comes down a oak tree just within shotgun range and I shoot him and he drops right there.

When I picked him up there was a nice round .22 hole in his chest. I still don't know how he got that far...
Old 09-26-2016, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

The first thing that comes to mind is the dive bombing squirrel... He jumped out of a tall oak right at my buddy. Hit the ground in front of him and ran right back up the tree and took another flying leap at us. Shot him on the second bomb attempt.... I saw a squirrel come down a tree, onto the barrel of my buddy's Mossberg 500, over his shoulder, down his back and into some brush, that one managed to get away safely. .... my dad shot a squirrel and when he picked it up it still had an acorn in its teeth, I'll try to find the picture of that one. There's more, I'll think of them and post tomorrow. I really do love hunting squirrel.
-JaKe
Old 09-26-2016, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

I once took my younger cousin squirrel hunting. While sitting under some tree limbs, I began to hear the sound of rustling leaves about seven or eight feet to my left. It sounded like rain falling just in that one spot. I looked straight up to see a squirrel directly overhead trying to piss on us. Had it not been for the wind, it definitely would have been pissing on us.

My cousin raised his 410 and shot it as it tried to scamper off, but he only grazed it with the edge of his pattern. It retreated into a three foot high hole in a nearby tree trunk and climbed up the other side of the rotting core wood. My cousin used a large stick to begin dislodging the rotten wood. Suddenly, the squirrel leapt out at me just like that scene from Christmas Vacation and landed at my feet. As it took off running, I started shooting at it with my Ruger 22 pistol, although the pistol scope wasn't really conducive to snap shooting at a running squirrel. The squirrel tried to climb a nearby tree, but it stopped about eight feet up. My cousin didn't want to shoot it with a shotgun from such a close range, so I centered the crosshairs of my pistol's scope on its head and squeezed the trigger.

And that's how my cousin got his first squirrel.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:04 AM
Spike

I killed one that didnt have a tail. I guess iit was shot off at some point. The funniest thing that I ever saw was my brother diving on a squirrel and catching it by the tail He had shot it out of a tree but it had plenty of life left. Once he caught it he couldnt turn loose. That squirrel chewed hole in three fingers before he squezzed it hard enough to kill it. I was rolling on the ground under a big oak laughing until I cried. He failed to see the humor in it.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
The first thing that comes to mind is the dive bombing squirrel... He jumped out of a tall oak right at my buddy. Hit the ground in front of him and ran right back up the tree and took another flying leap at us. Shot him on the second bomb attempt.... I saw a squirrel come down a tree, onto the barrel of my buddy's Mossberg 500, over his shoulder, down his back and into some brush, that one managed to get away safely. .... my dad shot a squirrel and when he picked it up it still had an acorn in its teeth, I'll try to find the picture of that one. There's more, I'll think of them and post tomorrow. I really do love hunting squirrel.
-JaKe
Ive shot quite a few with the remnants of the nut they were cutting in their mouth when I picked them up. I shoot a scoped 22 all the time for tree rats. Many times I have centered the crosshairs on the nut from below or head on to the rat when it was cutting the nut and let the subsonic eat. You pick the squirrel up and its mouth still be full of nut or acorn. Gives "stuffed" a new meaning!!!!
Old 08-27-2017, 12:05 PM
Spike

Shot a squirrel one morning, barely daylight, and after it hit the ground an Owl flew down and picked it up. As the Owl was flying off, I saw the squirrel in one foot of the Owl's talons hanging limp. I'd never seen that before and didn't tell to many people. Doubt they'd believe it.