Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
First time eating squirrel experience >

First time eating squirrel experience

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First time eating squirrel experience

Old 12-12-2016, 08:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

When you clean them, separate the body into 6 pieces, the legs and two back pieces, cut off the ribs and toss them. There is a thin membrane on the back of squirrels, take a dry cloth to get a grip on it and pull it off and toss. Then par boil the pieces with an onion cut in half, a carrot cut into several pieces, a stalk of celery cut into a few pieces and about some black pepper corns, about 8. While it is cooking a white scum will rise to the top of the water, skim it off and toss. When the squirrel is tender enough to pass a cooking fork through a thigh take the pieces out of the pot and salt and pepper them and dredge the pieces in flour. Then fry them in a skillet with bacon fat and butter until they are nice and golden brown. They will be crispy on the outside and white and moist on the inside. I make my rabbit the same way.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Spike

You guys are making me hungry
Old 01-07-2017, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

invest in a 4 quart pressure cooker, cook 40 min. they will be tender, then prepare as you like, now if you put old and young squirrels in the same cooker, the old will be done, the young will be over cooked so you need to adjust cook times t them all the same.
RR
Old 01-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think squirrel is the finest meat in the forest.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:26 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
When you clean them, separate the body into 6 pieces, the legs and two back pieces, cut off the ribs and toss them. There is a thin membrane on the back of squirrels, take a dry cloth to get a grip on it and pull it off and toss. Then par boil the pieces with an onion cut in half, a carrot cut into several pieces, a stalk of celery cut into a few pieces and about some black pepper corns, about 8. While it is cooking a white scum will rise to the top of the water, skim it off and toss. When the squirrel is tender enough to pass a cooking fork through a thigh take the pieces out of the pot and salt and pepper them and dredge the pieces in flour. Then fry them in a skillet with bacon fat and butter until they are nice and golden brown. They will be crispy on the outside and white and moist on the inside. I make my rabbit the same way.
This was a great tip!. Thank you