Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyotes...worth it??

Old 09-24-2015, 08:35 PM
Spike

Default Coyotes...worth it??

OKay so here is the deal...in my woods there are quite a bit of coyotes...over the years i thought the population died of somewhat but last year on my property they made their selves known. 11 o clock at night and heard a pack yelping in my back yard...another pack howling at the end of my drive way...and ANOTHER pack behind my driveway...this is the first time that i have heard them in almost 7 years...but i have also notice since then...i have no seen as much turkeys.(deer population is still the same it seems...less bucks though)
so my question is i dont want to go out there and slaughter them for no reason!! i do have a german shepard that i leave outside during the day in the back yard on a run...but never a problem. BUT sometimes i have to leave outside for a hour or two at night when my parents visit andbring the baby downstairs because the dog is not a big fan of the baby lol. I eat whatever i hunt...but i dont know about coyotes lol. Is it worth it for me to go after these guys for my turkey population? is there any benefit to downing the population? can i do anything with it after the kill? i dont want to kill it and just let it rot in the woods. if its not worth it to do anything or does not help with anything then i dont want to break a cycle of anything...could they be the reason the turkey population has decreased so much? Where i live its hard to find turkey hunting grounds(to get permission from land owners) and the local fishing and hunting club is always packed...what would you do and what is your opinion?
Old 09-24-2015, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kill everyone you can..........................You could NEVER kill them all.

The game population will love you for it !

Skin them then it's worth it - winter pelts.

Enjoy the great outdoors !
Old 09-25-2015, 02:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Sounds like a lot of coyotes. We found a fur buyer in our area who will buy our pelts taken from Nov. to mid March. If we don't want to skin stretch and sew the hide he will give us 50% of what we get from the prepared hide. We don't hunt them just in the winter we hunt them 7 days a week 12 months a year. Most of our summer hunting are problem coyotes cattle and sheep farmers call us to take care of.

Down below I have recipes for coyote. We only take parts of young ones to cook and they are as tasty as any thing when cooked properly.

Once you take out a goodly number and put enough pressure on the coyotes they will leave the area. the other game animals will rebound with no coyotes to eat the turkey eggs and little chicks before they can fly. The fawns will live to grow into adult deer and if does have babies of their own.
I second hunt and kill every coyote you can. You can make some pretty good money if you learn to skin stretch and sew and have a fur buyer to sell to.

Al
Old 09-25-2015, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't want to say waste the animals but fur is one method. You can google for plenty of recipes but other than that yes take them out as many as you can.

Yotes can wreak havoc on upland game bird populations as well as turkeys and deer.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Shoot every one you see. If u don't skin them, leave them in the woods and see how long they last...not long. Just cuz you don't eat them doesn't mean something else won't. Kill them all and don't have a conscience about it! You'll be doing way more good than bad. there's a reason many states have year round seasons with minimal restrictions.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's pretty simple - if you don't see a reason and don't have a desire to hunt coyotes, then don't hunt coyotes.

I can say with confidence that you can hunt enough to impact your other game populations, but that's really just by applying pressure and driving them out, not really by eliminating population. Equally, I can say with confidence that you'll never be able to decimate their population to create an imbalance in their "cycle." If there's food, coyotes will be there.

If you're a die hard turkey hunter and want to foster your turkey population, then hunting some coyotes will help. You'll also likely be surprised what it does for your deer herd, even though you already have a reasonable population.

As for your dog - a large dog - there's really only one time of year where such a big dog would be at risk, unless it goes running off into the night chasing a coyote. In the pre-breeding and breeding seasons, males get very territorial, so they're more apt to come near homes and attack large dogs. Small dogs are a snack any time of year, but big dogs usually aren't a target except for the late Dec through early Feb timeline, and dawn/dusk/night are the high risk times even in that period.

So again - there's a few "if's" for you to consider - if you're a die hard gobbler hunter, or don't want to manage your dog's outside time during the late winter and spring, then you'd be motivated to apply hunting pressure to coyotes. If you're not, then why would you hunt something you don't care to hunt?
Old 09-25-2015, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

To add some experience with dogs, out in California we had a few issues on base where some large dogs where killed. Cant recall the time line to say if it coincides with what was mentioned above but several coyotes in a pack can be very deadly and could attempt to take a single dog on if they felt like it. One was a weimaraner which I wouldn't think of as a small dog.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have watched coyotes chasing turkey's in broad daylight and even had them come in and inspect me while I was calling in turkey's. They will lessen the game numbers out there. I like to hunt them for the challenge and the extra hunting time added to whitetail deer and wild turkey hunting.

My brother stricly hunts coyotes and his situation sounds like yours plus them coming into his yard to attack his pets and intruding on his in-laws livestock. He never hunted then one day he was all about hunting yotes for the reason of disliking them for being troublesome.

I have seen deer overhunted to the point I would rarely see one and it would take a couple of years to get their numbers back up. I have never seen coyote numbers dwindle like that on properties they are hunted or trapped.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hunt them a lill every one you can. You will not wipe them out because they will respond to being pressured by having more pups but they may move elsewhere. There shouldn't even be coyotes in NY state, just like they should not be in my state, PA. The coyotes you and we have have wolf blood in them and are bigger than the standard coyote. I can attest to attacks on people in PA. If you have that many singing, their choir needs to be made smaller.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like most predators and prey they go through population cycles. The prey population increases (typically Rodents for Coyote) the predator population increases until they deplete the prey population and you end up with a peak of half starved and desperate predators.

You may be doing them a service reducing their numbers and smoothing out the peaks and valleys in the population.

The litter size seems to be directly proportionate to the available territory and the availability of game. So after you thin them out, they have larger litters.

In a balanced ecosystem their are few Coyotes, mostly the Wolves won't tolerate them. The Coyotes won't tolerate Fox. You are likely the closest thing to a wolf to do the job.

They tend to pack together when the youguns get old enough to hunt in the fall and they may go after larger game. They would periodically make a raid through my old neighborhood and get every Cat and small dog they could. Back then the municipality paid $12.50 an ear bounty.

Check with the DNR, there may be a bounty. Some states do, some don't.

High Coyote populations spread disease, Mange and others way nastier.

If you decide to skin them, they do have nice winter pelts, keep this in mind. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echino...multilocularis no cure, fatal in 10-20 years.

Gloves, face mask, wash your clothes above 160 F and transport the dead Coyote in plastic trash bags. Disinfect your work area.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 09-25-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.