Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Hunting rats with a trained mink and dog >

Hunting rats with a trained mink and dog

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Hunting rats with a trained mink and dog

Old 03-16-2015, 06:11 AM
Spike

Default Hunting rats with a trained mink and dog

Here's one of the videos from the hunt we went on last weekend. I'll be posting the video of my mink Washushe working a muskrat after I finish editing it.

https://youtu.be/5WIUoGZ3LkM
Old 03-16-2015, 07:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Interesting, never heard of hunting rats. I would think all the bite holes would make the hides sell for less than trapped rats. Neither the dog or the mink would be legal to take muskrats in my state, trapping only in PA.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:00 PM
Spike

very interesting
Old 03-17-2015, 07:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Interesting, never heard of hunting rats. I would think all the bite holes would make the hides sell for less than trapped rats. Neither the dog or the mink would be legal to take muskrats in my state, trapping only in PA.

When it comes to muskrats, just about anything is legal in my state. The dog doesn't help with muskrat hunting, just the mink. The mink doesn't typically damage the pelt much, as all their bites are focused on the back of the muskrat's head. There are already 4 big holes in a muskrats head, so if the mink does give the muskrat a 5th or sixth hole there, it doesn't really change the value of the pelt much.