Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

new to hunting need advice

Old 02-10-2015, 07:49 AM
Spike

Default new to hunting need advice

Hi I am new to hunting I live in florida and am going squirrel hunting this year in a wma (bayard) has anyone been hunting there that can give any information on the area thanks
Old 02-11-2015, 12:27 AM
Spike

I haven't been hunting there, but if you are looking for information on a state run WMA try contacting the local Florida fish and game office. The rangers who patrol that area will be very familiar with it and can probably point you in the right direction.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:51 AM
Spike

I also live in Florida (Northeast) and have been hunting WMAs for many years. Most of my hunting has been Lake George, Lake Monroe, Tiger Bay and Big Cypress.

For the past few years success rate has fallen markedly, partly, because of hunting pressure (over hunting), but mostly, I think, because of predator infestation, a problem that could be improved if they allowed hunting at night.

This year, especially in Lake George, I have seen absolutely NO small game thus far and several trips in to scout for turkey sign. All I see are vast areas of hog rooting and piles of Coyote poop everywhere. Legally, game can be shot from 1/2 hour before sun up to 1/2 hour after sunset. Hogs and Coyotes, not being stupid, simply do not come out until well after dark. So, all they do is root, eat and make babies with little hunting impact at all.

Plus, no feeders or electronic or recorded callers are allowed.

Also, unless it has changed for this year, Bayard does not have a Small Game Season. all they had before was a Muzzle Loader deer season in October and a Spring Turkey season. Might want to check the current regs before you go in there.

Bob.

Last edited by Voyager28; 02-11-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:11 AM
Spike

I have looked at the brochure and it says they do it's from Oct till March I think
Old 02-11-2015, 07:47 PM
Spike

Default wma

Yes sorry I did call fwc and bayard does not have small game hunting I miss read the brochure does anyone know what the terrain is like in the wma in north east florida I was looking into (four creeks) wma
Old 02-14-2015, 04:44 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by guate89
Yes sorry I did call fwc and bayard does not have small game hunting I miss read the brochure does anyone know what the terrain is like in the wma in north east florida I was looking into (four creeks) wma
Four Creeks is absolutely gorgeous. I've been hiking and canoeing in there several times. The problem with hunting is two fold. At least in the past, almost all hunting requires a Quota Permit and they only issue a few of those each year. Being that close to JAX the number of hunters applying for them is huge and I have never been able to get one.

No quote permit is required for Small Game Season but it's also a very short season, much shorter than most WMA's.

As I said though, if you just want to go hiking in the woods, it's a really gorgeous area to do so.

Bob
Old 02-15-2015, 09:09 AM
Spike

Has anyone been to caravelle ranch wma