Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Red Fox

Old 01-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Red Fox

Was out in the duck blind on Saturday and while setting up decoys I could hear some rustling in the high cat tails on the marsh. Thought it was the wind blowing them around and didn't think anything of it.Once our spread was all set up I started to walk to the blind and there were tracks everywhere and actually told my buddy how awesome it would be if we saw the Fox that day. Not more than 10 mins passes and we see 3 Mallards walking on the ice off the shore making their way to our spread. I then start hearing the rustling again coming from the cat tails behind me to my right. All of a sudden about 35-40 yards passed the blind on the right I see his head pop out of the tall grasses and he started to stalk the Mallards on shore. I ran out of the blind staying very low until I eventually went into his patted down row he was using to travel in the cat tails and crawled to about 10 yards of him. He flared the Mallards away and then turns around and spotted me. We both didn't move an inch then he dropped his front two legs and put his head low to the ground watching me....I then put the bead on his head and squeezed one off. The rest is history. Was pretty exciting stalking the stalker on my hands and knees and getting to 10 yards on him. Beautiful animal and he is already at the taxidermist.

We ended up not having any Mallards or Divers come into shooting range, but my buddy and I both limited out on Brant and I took a Red Fox...Overall a fun and exciting day!

Me w/ Fox and Brant:

First brant of the day of my 2 bird Limit:

2 Brant Limits and Red Fox:
Old 01-12-2015, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now that's a "mixed bag" !

Sounds like you had a great outing !!!

Just tanned, rug or full body mount ?
Old 01-12-2015, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

haha yea I know right! Was a pretty cool and unique hunt. I went with a full body...just had to! haha