Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Beginner seeking advice on public land >

Beginner seeking advice on public land

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Beginner seeking advice on public land

Old 11-29-2014, 12:59 PM
Spike

Default Beginner seeking advice on public land

I'm new here and have some questions. I'm looking to teach myself hunting by starting with small game.

What does hunting on public land consist of? I know the laws will vary, but do I just show up, park, start out down a trail with my rifle and cut off into the woods and pick a good spot. Is there generally any registering/checking in and hunting only in certain areas?
Old 11-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

First take a hunter education course required to buy a hunting license, then find yourself a mentor to show you the ropes. Your post indicates you really need guidance that cannot be provided by the internet.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check Your State or County for what is In-Season also,You don't want to be Hunting for a certain Game only to get Fined if it is not the correct date/time to be Hunting said Game!

Here in Missouri You have to be Hunter Certified to go Hunting unless You were born before a certain year/date.As far as Hunting Public Land We basically park along the side gravel road or parking lot if available and walk in and sit quietly to Hunt.Most areas do not allow You to drive off the main road or use 4-wheelers so there are certain rules and guide lines to follow.

Same thing adheres to Deer Hunting or Turkey Hunting on Public Land,Conservation Area or Mark Twain National Forest land and certain Areas may have Buck only or Doe only limitations.Be sure to check out any Area before Hunting and find a Book or Flyer on Rules and Season Dates and limits!
Old 11-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Here's some information to start with. Taking a hunter safety class is a smart idea. As others have mentioned, finding a mentor is also wise. Good luck.

Indiana Dept. of Natural resources website Homepage:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/

Indiana DNR Hunter Education (free safety classes, online for a fee):
http://www.in.gov/dnr/lawenfor/4812.htm

And some of the rules:
http://www.eregulations.com/indiana/hunting/
Old 12-01-2014, 02:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Join a sportsman club. they most times are the ones that do the hunter safety classes and they also have the members that hunt. some only hunt one type of game some hunt every thing that becomes legal and many will take a new hunter under their wing to get them on the right track.

Al
Old 12-01-2014, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Spend enough time in the woods

to know where deer are. So you can hunt them.
Spend enough time in the woods to know where the hunters are. So you can avoid them.
And being in good shape helps a lot. Doesn't come with the license.

Carry and know how to use a compass, at least, so you don't get lost, can hunt new places, and can find your way out of a place, yourself.

Last edited by Valentine; 12-01-2014 at 04:18 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMHO Oldtimr has given great advice. It sounds like the OP really needs a mentor, rather than just going out by himself and the other advice from members regarding joining a club to mingle with others and hook on with a mentor would be the way to do that.