Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Dealing with a caged skunk

Old 12-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most "farmers" I knew would drop the skunk and the cage in the nearest creek with a rope tied to it.

Sorry if that offends anyone; but look at my signature !!!
Old 12-13-2014, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

I let my parents borrow a trap once for their chicken coop.... caught a skunk while dad was away and mom had to "take care of it". Turned out to be a pretty humorous story....
-Jake
Old 12-13-2014, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

Afixiation(sp) is considered humane by most trappers.
They typically drown beaver and muskrat.
If the first shots not a brain shot get ready though using my method lol
Shot one in a ditch once and it fell in there and came back up out charging at me and pap!
Well... Charging might be a little dramatic it waddled at me
But yes has sprayed by this time.
Make the first shot count!
I do relocate possum, I've got a soft spot for the little guys.
Buddy had a baby possum he found in his woodpile and it was just as nice and playful as any puppy.
When I was a kid there was a monster possum who used to eat food with my dog! I'd come home and thy would both be sharing out of the same dish.

I hope your mom didn't get sprayed?
Poor lady lol
Hmm, do skunks eat chickens? Never raised chickens myself.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

They may. They like the eggs though.
-Jake
Old 12-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well sonny, west Md, the worst place to shoot a skunk is in the head, there is no doubt they will release their load if head shot. If you want to shoot a skunk, shoot it behind the shoulder and in almost cases it will not spray.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
They may. They like the eggs though.
-Jake
They can smell an egg from a mile away - LOL

"Farmers" won't tolerate them !!!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Well sonny, west Md, the worst place to shoot a skunk is in the head, there is no doubt they will release their load if head shot. If you want to shoot a skunk, shoot it behind the shoulder and in almost cases it will not spray.
glad that works for you, but ive only ever had one spray because i hit it with a .410 and not a .22 like i should have. they normally go limp on a brain shot. sonny.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

i protect my small crop with box traps every year (do about a half acre) if you snap an ear down and put it in the box its better than losing a few rows worth to the animals. we catch alot of possums, skunks, and coons this way as well as groundhogs and rabbits.
i normally release the rabbits unless its looking really tasty. everything else dies.
never had a problem dispatching skunk in the head, i try not to alert them and with the scoped 22 mag this is easy.
the reason the one sprayed was i was out hunting squirrels and had my montgomery ward .410

my friend used to throw bad eggs at his chickens and they would tear them up! and chicken meat too.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

No, you are full of it, just like in all your other posts. Shooting a skunk in the brain will assure it will spray, they can't help it. Not that it really matters but your made up crap trying to be passed off as knowledge is very old and stale.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-22-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
No, you are full of it, just like in all your other posts. Shooting a skunk in the brain will assure it will spray, they can't help it. Not that it really matters but your made up crap trying to be passed off as knowledge is very old and stale.
http://youtu.be/EKSnIesQYQo

http://youtu.be/tEf1NGb0tyU

http://youtu.be/nzTjFS_Ocgs

Last edited by westMDbowhunter; 12-22-2014 at 07:44 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.