Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Help with a pellet gun???

Old 10-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Spike

Default Help with a pellet gun???

I would like to buy a pellet gun that can kill a squirrel or rabbit. i do not know what a good one is. I would like a scope and one thats not insanely heavy. Im assuming all the ones able to kill something are break action which is fine. Please name brands and goo things about them and how well they work! anything to help me get the best pellet gun i can get.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beeman R9 or better.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:15 AM
Fork Horn

Gamo Hunter Extreme .22

1300 fps with alloy pellets & 950 fps with lead ones. Use the lead ones for better penetration & accuracy. I've shot muskrats and rabbits using lead pellets with mine & it gets the job done really well on them. I've also shot a couple raccoons, but need to be close & perfect shot placement to stop coons in their tracks.

Benjamin NP2 Trail

1200 fps with alloy & 900 fps with lead pellets.

Both the above rifles will cleanly kill Squirrel, rabbits, muskrats & even coon & possums (good shot placement from close range needed for the coon/possum.)

Last edited by craig; 10-28-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Spike

gamo silent cat .22
Old 11-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Spike

I have personally picked up a couple Daisy and Umarex .177 cal air pellet / bb combo rifles that are multi-pumps with bolt action loading / cocking. Velocity ranging from 600 to 800 and have hunted squirrel, possum and birds with ease. The rifles come with scopes, usually 4x15. Although they are not very fancy scopes, they are highly capable when sighted in. I am shooting 2cm groups at 25 feet and 1-1/2 inch groups at 35 feet with the included scopes. I one shot birds and squirrels at 25 to 30 feet usually, however, I have the scopes sighted in enough to get good headshots. Except a few birds that I got heart shots on because they move too much. Even at 600 velocity, my pellets penetrate plywood. I feel the usual suggestions for 1300 gamos and such are overrated for such small species. I do own a couple 1000 lead / 1200 alloy break barrel rifles, however, I don't feel the need to commonly use them as my cheaper rifles do fine. You can find these rifles roughly $40 to $50 and are very lightweight. I only use my higher end rifles when I want fast reloading, due to break barrels being a single load and single cock without the need to pump it for power even though I am aware they have more power, more power is irrelevant. Either it is capable, or not capable Overkill makes no difference to me. However, I do notice you want "the best you can get", the best you can get is simply besides the point of what is good enough.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Benjamin Nitro Piston .22Cal... They Have A Newer Version Out Now Called NP2..Also In .22 Cal. Getting It For My Son For Xmas For Squirrel Hunting.. I shoot RWS .22 Hollow Points Great Pellet. Good Scope Combo Aswell...Nice Wood Stock. You want A Fairly Heavy Gun For Accuracy . Ive Also Killed Racoons An Rabbits Too. But Mainly Hunt Squirrels .
Attached Thumbnails Help with a pellet gun???-squirrel-kill-11-15.jpg