Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Saturdays squirrel hunt.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Saturdays squirrel hunt.

Saturday morning I got ready to take the dog out for her first walk of the day at 7:00 AM. A bit windy out but otherwise a nice morning. Returned the dog then got dressed in my light weight camo, got the 20ga. Beretta silver snipe OU and a hand full of shells. Went out on the screen porch to pick up the bucket I had painted flat black for doing just this. Walking down the trail thru the vacant field to the spot where I wanted to start it began to sprinkle. Since it was only a sprinkle I continued on my way figuring it would stop soon. By the time I arrived where I wanted to start it started raining harder so I crossed the creek went up the hill to one of my deer blinds. Got settled in the deer blind got the windows open ready to go. Took about 15 minutes and a gray phase fox squirrel was going up a wild cherry tree out the south facing window. Up the tree and out on a limb, the 20ga. spoke to collect squirrel #1. About 10 more minutes there was a nice red phase squirrel hanging on the side of a Oak tree out the west facing window. Again the 20ga. spoke to collect # 2. Rain isn’t letting up in fact there are tiny ice pellets falling with the rain, After a half hour of seeing no more squirrels a lull in the falling rain seemed to be the time to head for the house. Open up the blind door and see two red phase squirrels about 20 yards away. Again the 20ga. spoke collecting # 3 and # 4 Collect the squirrels and put them in my pail and head to the pole barn. At the pole barn I put the knowledge I had gotten from Mister squawks video to use. Boy is that a slick way to clean a squirrel I did all four in about 10 minutes and it was my first time. Not badly shot up either probably had something to do with trying for head shots with 7 ½ shot. Once the squirrels were clean it was time to pay attention to the shot gun. In my gun room I break it down and run a couple patches thru the barrels and wipe down the entire medal parts with an oily rag I keep just for this. While there decided to clean up something and put stuff away as it was still raining with no quit in sight.
Whoa hoo, I discover a new unopened box of 500 22LR shells 36gr. hollow points just the ticket for squirrels. Since it was raining and cold I didn’t go get the camera for pictures.

Al
Old 10-07-2014, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up Good story

Ally, I like the story. I'm heading out again Thursday. Small world, I have a 1961 Beretta silver snipe also in 12 ga. Was my fathers, I use mine for bird hunting. I love it. Good hunting.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:06 AM
Spike

Sounds like you had a great time even with it raining ....plus, you got some yummy squirrel meat ......now for some sunny weather