Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Thinking Of Squirrel Hunting

Old 04-08-2014, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Our season starts Sept 15th. Lots of leaves in the trees then yet until mid Oct. Best to shot them on the ground at that time as it is when you see them.
If you search you tube for uncles quacks squirrel skinning video, you will see how easy it is to skin and dress a squirrel in the field.
http://photos.imageevent.com/brobert/ho ... QUACKS.wmv
A real Sharpe knife and a hone to touch it up makes quick work of cleaning them. I like the small 10 gallon trash bags to put the cleaned squirrels in and put them on ice ASAP when in the field. Can usually get a days limit here in just a few early morning hours.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 04-08-2014 at 03:53 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:52 AM
Spike

I checked out the video after my cousins told me squirrel hunting isn't worth the time it takes to clean them. But that way looks so easy.

I'm either going to pick up a cheap Simmons .22 mag or a Tasco Pronghorn scope today.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Different area require different ways of hunting for many reasons for any game.

In many areas of lower Michigan you can not still hunt deer or squirrels for all the posted property.
Sitting in the woods on a stand for squirrels is good fall practice for deer season down the road. I call it sit scouting.

Your cousins shouldn't be listened to. Squirrel is some fine eating and cleaning one isn't any worse than cleaning a mess of fish.

Al
Old 04-09-2014, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

"Your cousins shouldn't be listened to. Squirrel is some fine eating and cleaning one isn't any worse than cleaning a mess of fish."

+1 -- People have been hunting and eating squirrels for 100s of years

Last edited by Murdy; 04-09-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Spike

love squirrel hunting i hunt them with pistel 22 lr 22 mag shotgun and bow plus they are my fav meat too eat
Old 04-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Spike

i love shootin the bushy tails with my 22