Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Anyone hunt crow this time of year?

Old 03-25-2014, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Yes there is a lottery for Turkey hunting permits here in Michigan. You apply by the zone/area and dates you want to hunt. First date is some time in April and the last is late May.
Your limited to a week last time I checked.
Some times you don't get a permit for what you applied to but can reapply for a any zone any date drawing.
I stopped turkey hunting when a guy from Illinois stopped and asked about hunting turkeys on our farm where I had applied but on the second chance I drew for a area 3 hours across the state.
I felt I should have first choice on my home property and the person from out of state can get what ever is left.

I just raise a turkey or buy one from the farmer down the road.

Al
Old 03-25-2014, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Yes there is a lottery for Turkey hunting permits here in Michigan. You apply by the zone/area and dates you want to hunt. First date is some time in April and the last is late May.
Your limited to a week last time I checked.
Some times you don't get a permit for what you applied to but can reapply for a any zone any date drawing.
I stopped turkey hunting when a guy from Illinois stopped and asked about hunting turkeys on our farm where I had applied but on the second chance I drew for a area 3 hours across the state.
I felt I should have first choice on my home property and the person from out of state can get what ever is left.

I just raise a turkey or buy one from the farmer down the road.

Al
That is the dumbest thing I ever heard in my life
I guess you know they have a bear lottery in md but only like 10 or 20 percent is held back for residents, the other permits are equal chance for everyone. there are only two counties open to bear hunting. Garrett and allegheny. Garrett holding the most bear, I say only 10 or twenty percen should go to nonresident. I'm in the woods bowhunting when bear season is in. You should see the stupid places these guys go looking for bear. Most nonresidenta concentrate on a 1200 acre wma where there might be three bears.... It's just a stupid system all together. Plus there's only a week of bear season. It whole he closed to nonresidents and we should have a full bow season instead of a week of rifle. Well I've lived here my whole life and never applied. If I want to hunt bear ill do it in wv. Maryland is retarded all the decisions they make are just stupid. No idea how to manage wildlife. We have a lot more bears in garrett county than they think. It's so stupid.... Idk read all about it on md dnr site it's really a joke. Plus this is one of the biggest liberal states there are. Nonresidents that don't know where to hunt bear... Smh
I can't believe that guy hunted your farm and you didn't
Stupid laws all over
If I were in your shoes guarantee I'd be hunting toms when April rolls in, if I had a farm especially. screw em I say it's your right. What are they running out of turkey up there? Lol
Old 03-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Nonresident didn't hunt our farm cause we didn't give permission. I am not a poacher so I'll just buy any turkeys I want. They did open a fall season a few years back and you have to apply for a bear hunting permit drawing also. They are only issued for the UP as far as I know at this time.

Al
Old 03-27-2014, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Nonresident didn't hunt our farm cause we didn't give permission. I am not a poacher so I'll just buy any turkeys I want. They did open a fall season a few years back and you have to apply for a bear hunting permit drawing also. They are only issued for the UP as far as I know at this time.

Al

Oh haha sorry I read that wrong,
I've known people who raise wild turkey, awesome watching them of the porch. It's still not right people who don't live near you county get to come have the fun. We just have open season here for pretty well a whole month and I thinks bag limits one Tom. Guess I should county my blessings instead of worrying about nonresidents hunting bears, I'm sure they have a lot of fun coming to maryland. Weird name for a state I think that's like taking your girlfriends name and just being like yup that's Jessicaland... More like a carnivals title if you ask me.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anytime is crow time.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

"I stopped turkey hunting when a guy from Illinois stopped and asked about hunting turkeys on our farm where I had applied but on the second chance I drew for a area 3 hours across the state."

If it makes you feel any better, we do it pretty much the same way, though we probably give out more tags, so it's easier to draw something that's not 3 hours away.

==================================
"Weird name for a state I think that's like taking your girlfriends name and just being like yup that's Jessicaland... More like a carnivals title if you ask me."

Being one of the British colonies, I always figured it was after Queen Mary, so, yeah, girlfriend's name (or wife's).
Old 03-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Spike

Do you guys do anything with the crows? Haha. Probly a stupid question but I just always assumed they weren't really edible. It would good target practice though!
Old 03-29-2014, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jakeman3327
Do you guys do anything with the crows? Haha. Probly a stupid question but I just always assumed they weren't really edible. It would good target practice though!
I place them on a tall tree stump to feed the Red Tail hawks. Got some nice trail camera pictures of hawks that way.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:09 AM
Spike

After reading this I decided I'd go out and try it. Texas doesn't have any limits or a season on crows. I just turned on the crow fight via fox pro and got 4. I sat at each stand maybe 5 minutes. I feel like if I tried it'd be a lot more exciting and a lot more crowd would die. I apologize, I didn't read all of y'all's comments. I feel like if I got all my crap together i could start a guide service for crows. "Summer wing shooting" would anyone be up for a trade hunt like that? Or would any of y'all come down and hunt?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jakeman3327
I'm a trophy den nut so anything I get be it a wing or feather or whatever it's going on the wall. Currently have one in the freezer as I'm a hobby taxidermist. Probably save the carcasses for coyote bait. those dogs hit west md hard last spring. Planning to do the same to them This summer.