Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

frozen Calls

Old 01-31-2002, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default frozen Calls

Hi I like to hunt in the for coyotes and I have a problem of my calls freezing is there anything I can do to stop this before the hunt or do I just have to keep them warm while hunting
Old 01-31-2002, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: frozen Calls

You just need to keep your reeds warmed up before and during hunting. Simply by breathing through them you can avoid them freezing. If you have a blow call, then blow out through the other end, if a draw call, then blow in it so that you don't accidentally blow any sound.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

all closed reed calls are prone to freezing,its unavoidable.nomercy said it,keep them warm and blow excess saliva out thru the opposite end.the only way to completely avoid this is to use open reed calls.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:02 PM

I hang my calls around my neck on lanyards. I wrap parts of an old green sock around them to keep them from clanking together and can just slip them in and out of the neck of my jacket. My body heat keeps them warm.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also carry the closed reed calls on my neck inside my jacket but at -30 like it was a couple yrs ago while preditor calling you'd only get a couple go's and she'd be frozen stiff....out came a different call LOL!