Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

red, green or white light for fox

Old 01-04-2014, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default red, green or white light for fox

What do you guys use? What works best for hunting fox at night?
Old 01-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Red most of the time, but have a few green lamps. White lights are for human benefit in searching for things. I suppose I use reds mostly out of habit, but two thoughts: green seems to flash in the eyes more distinctly than reds (not necessarily brighter), whereas I can see a better definition of the field with reds. In other words, I don't feel like I can see the field, or a predators body as well with the greens, so my eyes aren't "flooded out" as badly, so then when the eyes pop, the contrast is high.

But, then again, I've never had equivalent lumen lamps side by side to compare. That's just a generalization of what I have noticed between using different lamps and lights of different colors. HATED blue lamps, for what it's worth.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

The system I recently purchased (VRL-1) provides both green & red LEDs also saying that the green uses less battery power, while providing a better beam. I will have to say that my use is for hog hunting and for sure in it, the hogs are way more tolerant of a green light than of a white light.

Last edited by Tnhunter444; 01-06-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:28 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

I use red. I just bought a green LED light to fool around with, if the weather ever straightens out.