Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Which scope to order?

Old 10-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which scope to order?

Picked up a Browning x-Bolt 22-250 laminated thumbhole stock rifle. Thinkng about a Nikon Coyote Special scope. Looks like they had a 4.5-14-40 with side focus model the past few years and just discontinued that model. The new one replacing it is Coyote Special 4-12-40 NO side focus. You can still buy both models.

Hunting mostly in MN.... shots are probably not super long. Haven't coyote hunted before, just starting.... is this enough, is side focus good or just slowing you down.

Any comments on what to get would be great!

Thanks
Old 10-16-2013, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CLOUD 9, MN
Thinkng about a Nikon Coyote Special scope. Looks like they had a 4.5-14-40 with side focus model... is this enough?
I have the same scope but with a different finish. The Coyote Special, at least WAS the same scope as the Buckmaster scope, just with a BCD reticle and a camo finish. I started out using the 4.5-14x40mm Buckmaster on my wife's Savage 12 .223rem, which she shoots to 600yrds pretty regularly. Now it's on her .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun, which she only shoots to 300yrds (ol punkin chunker drops too fast past 300yrds).

Like most Nikon's, it has fantastic resolution, great light transmission, and very clear optics. It does, like most Nikons, take a minute of 'fiddling' to set the eyepiece focus to provide 'haze-free' resolution at all magnification ranges.

Love the scope, very effective.

The new one replacing it is Coyote Special 4-12-40 NO side focus... is this enough?
The new version is a 'parallax free' scope, which really means it's a FIXED PARALLAX scope. This greatly limits the scopes effective range. The FIXED parallax setting for the 4-12x40mm Coyote Special is 100yrds, which should comfortably get you to ~250yrds before things get significantly hairy (hard to focus the crosshairs on your target, introducing parallax error on the shot).

Personally, I'd rather have the side focus than a 'parallax free' scope.

BUT, to the question, yes, a 4-12x40mm is plenty for most shooters shooting in a mix of open range and some cover. I like more magnification for coyote hunting than most guys, but I also shoot farther than most.

...is side focus good or just slowing you down.?
Side focus is far faster than Adjustable Objectives. For 0-300yrd shooting, there's no real difference in speed between side focus and Fixed Parallax. Just set the side focus at 100yrds and leave it alone, and you have the same effect as the other FIXED parallax scope.

BUT, the Side Focus gives you the option to dial in your focus at longer ranges if you so choose.

Of the two, no question, I have no interest in the Fixed Parallax Scope for coyote hunting, I'd get the Side Focus.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have no use for parallax free scopes................I use only adjustable objective scopes.

In fact, I use the same scope on all my hunting rifles - it helps ME to adjust my scopes quickly since all the scopes (adjustments) I use are the same.

I need all the help I can get !!!

Burris 4X-16X 44MM Signature Select Ballistic Plex Illuminated reticle.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use AO scopes as well. The exception is on my 22 which has a Leupold fixed 4X. If your 22 250 shoots well you will be able to make shots well beyond 300 yards.