Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Wolf Hunting Help

Old 09-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Spike

Default Wolf Hunting Help

I have two clients that I have guided for black bear in the past that have drawn wolf tags and want me to "set them up". WI prohibits the use of animal parts or byproducts to be used for bait. I'm thinking of just going with a predator call where I know wolves have been hanging out, but I Know they are not an easy animal to lure in during the daylight. Any information or help would be appreciated.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pin point the area you see them in.

Scout the area for one of their kills, careful not to leave any sent.

Pattern the way they "like" to come into the carcass.

Set-up down wind in good cover and remain aware.

Last edited by Sheridan; 09-16-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a tough question. I just found out today that I got drawn for our MN. late season. I'll have 2 months, and some of the areas that I'll be hunting I've been hunting in for 25 years. I've got a 3 wheeler, a quad, and a snowmobile to get me into areas for hunting, and scouting. Even with that, I know that unless I get extremely lucky it's going to be hard work to tag a wolf. The odds are against me.

Does your season run in conjunction with other hunting seasons?

The reason I ask is that you said that you can't use bait, but does a gut pile count as bait? I'm guessing it probably does.

Whether you use calls, and scents or not, your probably only going to get one chance in any given area. If your guiding your going to want several areas to hunt.

I'm fortunate that I can step out my front door, and I'm already hunting in many thousands of acres of wolf country. I will also be able to hunt in many other areas, some as far as 50 miles apart. I saw a big male in one of those areas just 6 days ago at about 70yds.

I've also been lucky enough to have shot one wolf already, but it was hardly hunting, he was in a leg trap. On August 18th of 2011 wolves killed my old dog. That was before they were de-listed. We had federal trappers come in, and they let me tend the traps on the weekends. On the last weekend I killed a yearling male. Tho there was some satisfaction in getting some revenge for my old dog, it has never felt quite right.

This year will be different. Not only will the wolves have a sporting chance, I believe that even with all the modern technology available to me, the advantage will still be in the wolves favor.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Spike

Our season is actually 3.5 months long, the middle of October to the first weekend in February. It does run in conjunction with our bow and rifle seasons, and you can use a gut pile from a legally harvested deer as bait...but my hunters have a 6 hour drive up here and the time they can be here usually only gives me a 3-4 day window to work with.

Lucky enough for me, we do have an abundance of wolves. They've been causing a lot of problems with livestock and at least a dozen bear hounds have been killed.

I'll spend the next couple weeks playing with calls and scents, maybe get an idea of what works.

I'm very sorry to hear about your dog. Good luck with your hunt.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang it!!! I lost track of this one!!!

If I had seen your post I would have warned about testing the scents, and calls. The last thing you want the wolves to do is figure out that you just tricked them. If your going to experiment you want to be sure that you remain undetected.

I'll add that the Federal trappers that were here used scents only. They caught the first two wolves in the first two days, the third wasn't caught until 14 days later. None were caught in the same trap/spot.