Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Who's Ready

Old 09-13-2013, 04:55 AM
Spike

Default Who's Ready

Hey gang, Who is ready for small game season? I know I am, I've been prepping since this past summer.

I am really excited that this is my first season to hunt anything.

Now I am debating, Do I want to bring my mule of a 12ga? Or do I want to bring my 22 and hope I got a good shot on the head?
Old 09-13-2013, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on what you're planning on hunting and how much of a challenge you want out of it.

I prefer my 22 for squirrel and rabbit hunting because I enjoy it more. I'll either use my Marlin 795 with a little plinker scope or a ruger 10/22 with iron sights (irons on the Marlin are jacked up, otherwise I'd use that).

I know the areas I hunt well, so I'll pick a spot, sit and snipe rabbits and squirrels for a bit. I usually pop a few whenever I go out... but I'm not that concerned about bagging game, I just like to get outside. Now, if I used my 12 gauge, I would bring home A LOT more cottontails for sure... don't know how many have busted me and took off when I'm walking in or changing spots.

Our small game season started on the first of this month, rabbit, tree squirrel, dove, crow, Canada goose and common snipe are all open, but I haven't been out yet. It was still in the 90's last week and WAY too humid. I'd be hunting in shorts and no shirt.

When I do get out, however, I am planning on using my recurve for a good part of the season... I've got plenty of bunnies and tree rats in the freezer, so I'm going to up the difficulty some. If I get frustrated, the 22 will be in the truck.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:04 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Psylocide
Depends on what you're planning on hunting and how much of a challenge you want out of it.

I prefer my 22 for squirrel and rabbit hunting because I enjoy it more. I'll either use my Marlin 795 with a little plinker scope or a ruger 10/22 with iron sights (irons on the Marlin are jacked up, otherwise I'd use that). Nice, Thank you, I really do like my 12ga better then my 22 for the simple fact, It feels better when I am holding it. And for the fact that the 22 LR ammo is in a shortage crisis, However I will try on my first day with a 22 LR henry lever action rifle.

I know the areas I hunt well, so I'll pick a spot, sit and snipe rabbits and squirrels for a bit. I usually pop a few whenever I go out... but I'm not that concerned about bagging game, I just like to get outside. Now, if I used my 12 gauge, I would bring home A LOT more cottontails for sure... don't know how many have busted me and took off when I'm walking in or changing spots.
Same here, The second area I will be hunting in, I will have to let my friend be the guide. He will know the area quite well. So bring both of my guns the 12ga and rifles depending on the critter I will be hunting?

Our small game season started on the first of this month, rabbit, tree squirrel, dove, crow, Canada goose and common snipe are all open, but I haven't been out yet. It was still in the 90's last week and WAY too humid. I'd be hunting in shorts and no shirt.Now you are so very very lucky to have your season start on the first. And I feel your pain, It was in the 90's here as well hot and humid.

When I do get out, however, I am planning on using my recurve for a good part of the season... I've got plenty of bunnies and tree rats in the freezer, so I'm going to up the difficulty some. If I get frustrated, the 22 will be in the truck.
Oh how lucky are you, to be able to use a bow, I like to do bow hunting, I don't have the necessary strength to pull back a compound or a recurve bow.

Thank you for the tips man, I really do appreciate it.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't say you have to bring both guns... but you can if you'd like. Your chances will be better with the shotgun though, I can almost guarantee that.