Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Florida Small game hunting (south)

Old 09-06-2013, 05:04 AM
Spike

Default Florida Small game hunting (south)

Good morning all!

So recently iv been really looking into small game hunting.
So since im from England, iv seen "quotas" get handed out and seems i may have missed my shot at getting them, but here are some questions if you dont mind answering them?

1) whats is small game hunting like in FL? (south east)
2) how likely is it for someone to get a quota?
3) What do you find is the best places to go? (rabbits, squirrel ect)
4) I know there is a website called myffw.com (or something like that) but there information on there can be confusing :P

Any information you can provide would be great
The gun i am hunting with is a Ariforce condor.22
Old 10-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Spike

Welcome to Florida! If you are only hunting with the Airforce Condor .22 you will be limited by law and practicality on what you can hunt. Small game, rabbit,squirrel perhaps some quail/doves when not in flight. These animals can be hunted in MOST Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) without quota hunt permits. The Quota hunts are mainly for large game,deer,hogs in Fla and are issued MOSTLY by pre season drawings in June and later in July if permits are still available. There are some WMA's that will issue first come permits at the gate or may have a permit or two that were turned in too late for the second drawing. The drawings are based on how many people apply, but unless you want a very popular area you can get your 1st or 2nd choice most times. Quotas are for Archery, Blackpowder and Modern Gun seasons. Also, quite a few WMA's will have quota hunts for the 1st 9 days or so of season and allow people to enter after with only appropriate liscences. It is now too late to apply for the 2013-2014 season,but there is alot of small game available in just about every public hunt area. Check out the FWC site, again,if still confused, stop in at a local gun shop for better explanation. If you desire to deer/hog hunt they will be good asset for planning. For next year's big game season look around where you live and stop in at one of the check stations, after the season is over FWC site produces a roster of game hunted,killed,success ratios etc. Hope this helps.