Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Black Squirrel

Old 09-29-2003, 03:07 PM

Default RE: Black Squirrel

I' ve been wondering the same thing. I saw my 1st black squirrel in VA a few years ago and now I see a decent amount of them. This is in Northern VA. There are mostly grey squirrels here, w/ a few blacks. A few months ago, i saw what appeared to be an albino squirrel in Arlington, of all places.
I have also seen a ton of black squirrels in Northern Virginia. They are a subspecies of the gray. There are neighborhoods in Arlington and Alexandria where blacks are more than 50 percent of the population. With no real predators, sticking out more than your neighbors is no detriment to the population.

Chubber
Old 09-30-2003, 09:09 AM

there is a lot of blacks squirrel in my town, im thinking of taking my bb gun and getting a couple of them, maybe mounting one, who_else
Old 09-30-2003, 02:21 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Here is mine that I took near Victor, NY. I' d say they are rare here... I see 1 for every 100 greys
Old 10-01-2003, 06:35 PM
Spike

I believe its called melanism...just the opposite of being albino. I suppose there are more blacks than albinos because the white/pink stands out too much and makes them easier targets for predators as well as cancer from the sun
Old 10-01-2003, 06:49 PM

I currently live in South Carolina and have never seen a black squirrel here but I' m originally from South Louisiana and I' ve seen 3 or 4 down there. I don' t think they' re all that common around those parts.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:58 AM
Spike

Here are some links, check them out if you want:

http://www.pec.on.ca/naturestuff/fauna_mammals.html
(info about melanism)

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/set/squirrels.html
(towns claiming to have high albino squirrel populations)

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/set/squirrelsblack.html
(towns that claim to have high melanistic populations, even a pic of a albino and melanistic together)
Old 10-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

Black squirrels are everywhere in my neighborhood up here in Ontario its like all we see!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are very common where I hunt as well!! Nice mount bhw!!!!!
Old 10-18-2003, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

any body want to send me the hide of one of those black squirrels? we dont have them around here, but i would love to mount one. lemme know. thanx
Old 10-18-2003, 07:39 PM

Today was opening day of PA small game (squirrel). Me and my buddy got way back in the woods and as he was rasslin' with a freashly shot Grey i saw a black squirrel in the distance. it' s the first one i' ve seen out in the wilds of PA and i went after it like a man gone wild. Well, to make a long story short, he got away. But after seeing that mount in BHW' s post i' m going to make sure that next old Blackie Bushy-Tail doesn' t get away. They are awesome to see and it makes hunting an already great game species even better. pound for pound nothing beats the excitement and sport of squirrrel hunting, and that' s a fact!!!!!

Quick Reply: Black Squirrel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.