Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Setting up a new Coyote shotgun... tips? >

Setting up a new Coyote shotgun... tips?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Setting up a new Coyote shotgun... tips?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Setting up a new Coyote shotgun... tips?

I was thing about setting up a Stoeger 3500(3.5") and 3000(3") shotgun for coyote hunting. would probably use #4 buckshot. Any thoughts would be great!

1 - what length barrel?
2- would you put a red dot on it or a good fiber optic bead?
3- what choke tube would you suggest?

Anything else?

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Pattern Master Choke tube! !

VERY, very good for large shot.

I think both those sights would work well, use which ever you like best.

If you reload I'd suggest buying some BBB or T shot from Ballistic Products.....copper or nickel plated preferred. T shot gives denser patterns than 4 buck & at any range you don't have enough penetration, you don't have enough pattern density from 4 buck.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CLOUD 9, MN
I was thing about setting up a Stoeger 3500(3.5") and 3000(3") shotgun for coyote hunting. would probably use #4 buckshot. Any thoughts would be great!

1 - what length barrel?
2- would you put a red dot on it or a good fiber optic bead?
3- what choke tube would you suggest?

Anything else?

Thanks!
For coyote shotgunning:

1) I prefer 18.5-22" barrels for easy handling. If you're using sights, you won't need the long barrel radius of a longer barrel, so there's no real reason to add length. If the shotgun in question comes with a longer barrel, I wouldn't be motivated to cut it down or swap barrels unless you just find a deal on a barrel somewhere.

2) To each their own. I have both on mine. I have Tru-Glo adjustable clamp on fiber optic sights on my vent rib, and a Tru-glo Open Red-dot on a B-Square Saddle mount. If something should happen to the Red dot, I can swap out a couple of pins and use the open fiber optic sights. I usually use the red dot during the day, the fiberoptics (with a laser pointer or small LED providing illumination) if I'm calling at night.

3) Check out this post:

Predator Hunting Reference Forum: Shotgun Loads and Choke Combinations

I prefer to use 4 Buck with a 0.680" Carlson's Dead Coyote extended choke (older model, non-wad stripping). The Patternmaster is a close 2nd, but I've been using Federal 4Buck with Flight control wads, which don't work with wad-stripping chokes. Nice part about Patternmaster chokes, if you're NOT using engineered wad loads, is that all you have to do is pick your shell length, instead of having a fleet of chokes to align with different shot sizes you might choose (I have 5 or 6 "coyote hunting", buckshot friendly chokes, and the $ tied up in letting all but one of them collect dust).

I absolutely prefer 4buck over T shot, or B, BB, BBB. Heavier than lead alloys will make up some ground for these smaller shot loads, don't even consider them in lead. 4 buck has been the best balance of anchoring power, pattern density, and shot count for me, and it can be had relatively cheap.

Cheap/Easy option is a light modified or Improved choke with 00buckshot. Available, cheap, and hits like a truck. Pattern density is the crutch.

Copper plated or even steel shot can work, but so would a pointy stick if you got them close enough. Not a fan, have seen too much better performance out of plain ol' lead 4 buck.

Find me a load of heavier-than-lead 4buck for about $2-3 a round and I'd never hunt coyotes with anything else.

A kickstand, or even a bipod is a great investment, so you don't end up laying your shotty in the dirt/snow/mud. Shooting sticks are more handy than a mounted bipod. (I personally use both a mounted bipod as a kickstand and a Primos Trigger Stik monopod to steady my shots).

I like extended mag tubes also. My Benelli Supernova holds 8 2 3/4" rounds, or 5 3.5" rounds with a +2 tube. Rarely need 8 shots on one stand, but 5 shots on a triple can happen.

Oddly enough, not many guys will opt for a trigger job on a shotgun. If I'm aiming a shotgun like a rifle, I want a trigger that's more suited to that kind of work. No, I'm not talking a 2lb or less varmint trigger, but a little lighter and polished up can help keep a bead on a dog.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

+1

"Cheap/Easy option is a light modified or Improved choke with 00buckshot. Available, cheap, and hits like a truck. Pattern density is the crutch." NoMercy

+2

"Shooting sticks are more handy than a mounted bipod." NoMercy
Old 04-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well........ ended up buying a Stoeger M3000 (3" 12ga. 26" in Max-4 camo) picked up a sling and had an extra bead added for help in aiming. Next I need to get a good choke tube. Whats a really good choke tube to reach out and smoke those 50+ yard coyotes? Have decided to shoot reg lead 3" #4 buchshot.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

#9,

Good choice all the way around !

Feel the thrill of having them in your lap, rather than shooting them at 50 yards.

Call here and ask for George;

http://www.trulockchokes.com/tactical-c-24.php

Have fun !

Last edited by Sheridan; 04-25-2013 at 07:36 PM.