Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Anyone else call in animals you weren't targeting? >

Anyone else call in animals you weren't targeting?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Anyone else call in animals you weren't targeting?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Spike

Default Anyone else call in animals you weren't targeting?

So I went out for a coyote hunt this morning and had an owl key in on my rabbit decoy after hearing the distress calls.

What have you guys called in that you weren't expecting to?
Old 03-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

I had black bears and mt lions come in with turkey and disstressed rabbit calls.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

The last day of our season (march 15) called in a pair of bald eagles and a mink at the same set!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Multiple predators will key on rabbits... I wouldn't be surprised if a number of different preds showed up.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

I keep getting racoons... Dont know why. Ive had three coons come in on different occasions. I dont see them as an issue so I will normally let them walk, only shot one because he was getting too close to my Foxfire and I wasnt sure what he would do.

I know racoons are foragers, but will they attack a dying rabbit?
Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never fails, it's this time of year that bobcats (not in season any more) will start coming in when I'm calling coyotes.

It's very common that coyotes will come in at any time when I'm targeting bobcats or fox.

Birds of prey like owls, hawks, even crows will come to your call. I can't tell you how many times a stinkin Redtailed hawk has dive bombed my decoys. I've had to get a few new decoy toppers because hawks have carried them off.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
I know racoons are foragers, but will they attack a dying rabbit?
Coons are omnivorous, they'll eat anything they can get their hands on. Chicken and duck killing jack azzes.

The sounds aren't so different from coon distress sounds, so I think that's part of it. A vermintators Syco tweety is a really good call for coons when played a raspy cottontail distress.

Take your bow out one of these days, bow calling coons is a trip!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had an Owl fly down at my small Johny Stewart caller,had several Hawks fly in while using a mouth distress call and many Crows respond also....which is good because that means the calls/sounds are working like they should.

I also had several Bobcats come in while I was calling for Coyotes....and as several mentioned it was when they were out of Season and got a Free Pass.i have used a Jack Rabbit mouth call and had Deer run in several times.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:08 AM
Spike

I had deer on more than one occasion come on my distress call.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:30 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

One time I called in a husky and it was dragging it's owner on a leash!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.