Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New Hunters--Father and son.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Spike

Default New Hunters--Father and son.

My father and I started hunting recently--I'm 28 and he's 59. So far we've only gone out twice to the public lands in Oklahoma. Currently it's rabbit season and that's what we've been looking for; but both times we've spent hours walking fields, tree lines, deep brush, and have yet to see more than A rabbit. I know it's only been two times, but we're already feeling the discouragement, wondering if we're just doing something wrong. From what I've read it's possible to just walk, thrash, and try to scare something up. Does anyone have any other tips? And if anyone knows the public lands around Oklahoma--we've been to Lexington and Oklmulgee--are there certain areas to go to? I'd really appreciate any help. We're planning to hunt during every season, turkey, deer, squirrel, and search for wild pig as well; but the way things are going! We need help! Thanks.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Walk Rail Road tracks.
The brush on the sides of the tracks have good rabbit habitat.
Good Luck
Old 02-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting can be tough at times especially if Your not using Dogs to flush out Rabbits or other Game.My suggestion would be to take a camera along,pack some refreshments in a Cooler and a few snacks and enjoy the time out together,take pictures of the beautiful surroundings and You and Your Dad Hunting and make it more enjoyable.....make it more fun and less stressful to kill an Animal and more of an Adventure!
Old 02-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you're rabbit hunting on foot, without dogs, it makes me a little edgy to hear the word "thrash" involved.

"Stalk" is a better word for what you're trying to accomplish.

Rabbits are prey species at the bottom of the food chain, and they know it. It doesn't matter what animal or thing is making a lot of noise, they know to run from it. You need to be quiet, get up in their area, see them before they see you, or at worst, gently bump them as you walk through so they just run far enough to create space, not run completely to cover. "Thrashing" around is going to send them running without looking back.

One thing that I think is critical for rabbit hunting is scouting. Sometimes an area that you'd think would be great for rabbits just won't have any. If you have actually seen rabbits in an area, then that's where I'd recommend starting.

Are you shooting shotguns or rifles? (or better yet, handgun?)
Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Spike

We're using shotguns. For the most part we've been walking tree lines and then into fields of tall grass and wheat. Generally, we walk 10-15 steps and then stop and wait and then continue on again.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:54 AM
Typical Buck

Use the buddy system on brush piles. One will step on a pile and the other be ready for a shot. SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY all the time though. Get a beagle, they are fun to hunt with and listen to.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Spike

this may sound a little kooky but it worked for me as a kid finding rabbits without a dog. As you are walking along, think about this: you're now a rabbit and you have just been informed that a fox or coyote is coming after you. Look around and see where you are gonna hide from him, it's a life or death situation. Now go stomp out that brushy spot you selected to hide in and be ready to shoot. The rabbit is gonna run for his life when he comes out of there.