Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New Years Day Double

Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Spike

Default New Years Day Double

Here is the story with some pics from my New Years Day outing,
With the wind coming from the west this morning I figure I would go into the setup from the back of the farm. Once I parked my truck I walked over a ridge, (my plan was to walk the back open field and hunt the bush way in the background from the field beyond the first set of trees) I noticed a couple small dark objects about 400 yds out. Deer…..great, when I am after them I don’t see them but know that the season is closed….so I glass the objects and to my surprise its 3 coyotes out in the field, I back up in a hurry, rush back to my truck, which is only 50 yds away, drop off my chair and my mind starts working on a plan. I decide to move as fast as I can down a ridgeline 200 yds down from where I park the truck. I climb the little hill and can’t see the coyotes as they are down in the gully portion of the field. I setup my decoy/caller about 10yds away from me on my left just beyond the big tree. I am rushing at this point, lots of thoughts going through my mind, I can’t find my shooting sticks, where this, that etc….I end up only turning my decoy on and give a few soft rabbit distress calls using my hand calls. I call for about 30 seconds and wait…30 seconds go by and the first coyote pops his head up over the rise (100yds out)…a couple seconds later another pops out….2 coyotes less then 100yds..cool…where is the third?.... I give a couple low soft calls and one starts coming in to the decoy…He gets about 50 yds out and stops… I am about to shoot him but he starts to come closer…the other one at this point starts making his way toward me too. I stop the first one at the caller 12yds away take the shot, he goes down… The other starts to move off but I give a little call and he stops and the second coyote is down… I get back on my hand caller and try to get the third one to come in but no luck….

They weighed in at 44 and 36lbs…1 male and female

I was sitting just to the left of the big tree in the bushline….

Old 01-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome, love it when a plan comes together.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like your quick thinking paid off. Good pictures too.
-Jake
Old 01-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Spike

Congrats. What bipod stick are you using? Im in the market for one.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by DavesFroggin
Congrats. What bipod stick are you using? Im in the market for one.
Just a homemade set of shooting sticks taken the info from varmint als website....They work really well and are cheap.

http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm

Last edited by fratri; 01-05-2013 at 05:42 AM. Reason: fix link
Old 01-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the dogs! You gave some deer, turkeys and quail a happy new year! Awesome pics too. BB