Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
got a foxpro spitfire.  first time yote hunter with a few questions. >

got a foxpro spitfire. first time yote hunter with a few questions.

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

got a foxpro spitfire. first time yote hunter with a few questions.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default got a foxpro spitfire. first time yote hunter with a few questions.

i shouldnt say i am a first timer. i did it bout 6 years back with not much luck. but i hear from alot of people that its addicting when all goes right. and i cant go fishing all the time

so long story short i got my spitfire and went out. called 2 spots late afternoon. had one come out and look bout 300+ yrds. gave me a good shot (i had a 22-250 that day) but he didnt look scared so i seen if he come closer. he ended up just slowly walkin away through a corn field. other spot seen a yote long ways away and he was tryin so hard to cut a deer off a herd that he didnt want nothing to do with me. he looked every time i called but thats all he did way to interested in deer i guess. so my question is. what kind of calling sequence do you normally use? i been using a rabbit dist for most of it and if nothing i try a coyote locator.. how long does one let caller run before shutting off and how long of a pause before one starts again? i wont sit in a spot for longer than 30 to 40 min. cus i know that success is all on the spot and setup and ground covered.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-31-2012, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I lean towards cottontail distress most of the year. Bay Bee Cottontail on your Foxpro Spitfire is a good one, DSG Cottontail is another high producer (might not be on your Spitfire though).

We're getting into early breeding season, or at least will be soon if it isn't kicking off in your area yet. Male territorial vocals and female invitation howls will start producing better and better in the next few weeks.

I personally do not locate before I call a set. I don't want to draw any attention to myself before I am ready to call and kill one. The only time I locate is if I "scout" a spot the night before to be called in the morning. I'll locate around midnight to 2am (usually after running coons with hounds), just to see who is in the area. If 3 or 4 groups of dogs all around the spot answer, then I for sure come back. If nobody answers and I get better response elsewhere, I might not prioritize that set as highly the next morning.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If You had a Motion Decoy it might pull the Coyotes in closer?I have the FoxPro Jack Attack and its a very nice motion decoy that has a remote with it that reaches out pretty far and You can speed it up or slow it down or stop it all together with the remote...and it has a small light on top to turn on at low light in the morning or at dark to draw attention to it!The decoy also has another wire decoy that can be added or taken off that resembles a Woodpecker/Bird.

Sometimes You think the Coyotes are leaving but they might be slipping into cover and circling around down-wind to pick up Your scent?
Old 12-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
Sometimes You think the Coyotes are leaving but they might be slipping into cover and circling around down-wind to pick up Your scent?
It's in your best interest to COUNT ON coyotes circling to your downwind (ESPECIALLY WHEN USING AN E-CALLER!!!).

You should plan your sets to let the coyotes approach your E-caller circling downwind, positioning yourself to the crosswind of the "kill zone" (open area downwind of your e-caller). Designing your sets to capitalize on a coyotes natural behavior tends to boost your productivity, and adding the E-caller to that mix can help facilitate that (let coyotes slingshot around to your e-caller right into your lap).
Old 12-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nomercy....it seems the Coyotes will circle around down-wind if we use any Distress Sounds,but when I just use Barking/Yelps I've had them come in from any direction....or at least be less cautious?

I also forgot to mention that a Feather Distractor helps in getting a Coyote or Bobcats attention also...and they are cheap or You can make Your own!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

GTO: It depends on the dog and on the day.

Whether you're using coyote vocals or prey distress calls, how "hard" the dogs come in will depend on how motivated they are, whether they're motivated by hunger, being horny, or territorial.

Territorial males in January especially will be likely to run hard at an intruder, while a juvenile male or female might be more wary and circle.

Juvenile dogs in the fall will be less likely to check up for distress calls and circle, so they might come in hard. Females will come harder to pup distress during certain times of year, late winter early spring big males will come hard to pup distress.

A hungry dog might come in hard any time of year to distress.

Set up properly, it won't matter which they choose. You want good visibility all around your caller, but definitely FORCE a dog into the open if they want to get downwind.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Nomercy....lots of great info and interesting thoughts You have given me on what You've said...gonna take a lot of that into consideration next time out.We were going out this evening but nasty weather and rain kept Us from trying it again this evening!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
GTO: It depends on the dog and on the day.

Whether you're using coyote vocals or prey distress calls, how "hard" the dogs come in will depend on how motivated they are, whether they're motivated by hunger, being horny, or territorial.

Territorial males in January especially will be likely to run hard at an intruder, while a juvenile male or female might be more wary and circle.

Juvenile dogs in the fall will be less likely to check up for distress calls and circle, so they might come in hard. Females will come harder to pup distress during certain times of year, late winter early spring big males will come hard to pup distress.

A hungry dog might come in hard any time of year to distress.

Set up properly, it won't matter which they choose. You want good visibility all around your caller, but definitely FORCE a dog into the open if they want to get downwind.
Nomercy always shares great insight ~ good man !

Never asked, but I assume you hunt in the day light, to include dawn & dusk, of course (primetime) ?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Time of day depends on my mood, and obviously theirs.

In KS, we can call 24/7, if I have a weekend totally free, I might call all day long, or if the moon is out, I might call all night. I'd rather be calling empty sets than sitting on the couch. Dusk and dawn are generally the best, night is very productive, midday generally sucks, but that's not to say you can't get dogs in all day.

When guys contest call, they'll run 20-30 sets during daylight hours, all day long.

Pressure fronts, warm fronts, chills, snow, rain, moon phase, etc etc, all can effect their movements. The way I figure it, I'd rather be calling than not.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

"I'd rather be calling empty sets than sitting on the couch." Nomercy

+1 I can't shoot them from there anyway.

"...............but that's not to say you can't get dogs in all day." Nomercy

Got out of bed late, headed up to the mountain anyway ~ shot one at 11:15 AM.

Of course, I shoot the stupid ones ~ the smart ones, already have full bellies & are tucked away in bed !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-01-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.