Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Father/son first squirrel hunt

Old 12-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Spike

Default Father/son first squirrel hunt

I use to hunt squirrels, birds, etc. when I was a kid and sadly enough never thought about anything other than hitting what I was aiming at. The state is offering a "free" hunting day and I am planning on taking my boy (6 yrs old) squirrel hunting for the first time. The only hunting I have done the last several years was for deer and figure now is as good a time as any to go back to where it all started. This time around we WILL be using the meat and placing it in the freezer. The only legal place to hunt that is close enough to run out to after school is a "shotgun only" management area.

Only suitable shotgun I can use is a 20GA which I have some #6 shells for. Here is my question...How big a problem will the shot be to remove? Is this easy enough once the squirrel is skinned or will we be spitting shot back onto the dinner plates? Never run into this before since I didn't keep the meat when I was young and don't know what to expect since I cannot use a .22. Thanks for any advice.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Spike

Default Shot

It shouldn't be a problem as long as your thoroughly check the meat for any blood shot or holes.try holding the meat up to a lite to look for any pieces of shot
Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Once skinned any holes where shot did not pass through can be studied for most economical way to cut a slit to retrieve shot and any hair driven into hole. kinda like taking out a sliver broke off deep in muscle or a pinfeather if that helps make sense. 20 guage should be fine. unless they are real close you may not have much shot to deal with. If 20 has a full choke at close range a squirrel or two will show if you want to aim(i know aim a rifle,point a shotgun)at head or 3 or 4 inches above.
A salty water bath in fridge over night helps blood shot holes rinse out with cold water.
Parboil older squirrels before cooking. Young squirrels(ribs very flexible and not hard boned yet)a favorite for oven frying carefully (less time,plenty of butter)like chicken.
Teach them kids right! Have fun.