Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First coyote hunt was a bust

Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Spike

Default First coyote hunt was a bust

I went hunting today set up was doing a dying rabbit call and I stoppped I heard a coyote yip so I did a few yips and a howl and it yipped back we went back and fourth then it stopped. I couldnt get anything to come in I didnt even see a fox. I'm hunting 5c PA I know the yotes are here I hear them at night sometimes when Im at my uncles house right outside Evansburg. I just couldnt seem to bring any in.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have had the same thing happen several times. It's frustrating to say the least. I have had them howling so close by my just could see them due to the cover. I guess you can be happy that you at least had them respond.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

My man Sheridan often uses the saying, something along the lines of "the red-tailed hawk only catches a mouse on one out of ten attempts." (Sorry Sheridan for stealing your line, hopefully I didn't botch the wording too badly).

Coyote calling is a balancing act of quality and quantity. You need to make as many GOOD sets as you can. You scout as much as you can, figure out where to dogs are bedding/denning, where they're feeding, where they're drinking, and how they travel. Design your sets to captilize on those behaviors. Get in and get out. If you call for a half hour and nothing shows, move on. I can't think of the last time I spent an hour on a set unless it was just the last one of the day and I didn't have anywhere to be and didn't have any dogs on the truck to get skinned (read: unless I was desperate).

Rule number one for coyote calling: Don't get discouraged.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 12-22-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Nomercy for the props !

"Even a mature hawk only score on one in ten attempts"

We all hopeflly, learn by our mistakes !

Once you get their attention, make them hunt you...............................

One thing is for sure: you can't shoot them from your couch !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-23-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned....stay after the Coyotes and enjoy the Hunt,eventually You'll out-smart them and score a nice Coyote!Sometimes slipping in quietly and making no sounds or just a few barks will get their curiousity and they will slip in quietly too...keep Your guard up and watch for movement!