Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Where are all the rabbits???

Old 12-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Spike

Default Where are all the rabbits???

Wanted to get out to some hunting but not wanting to head out into the National Forest during rifle season to search for a grouse I took advantage of the short deer season at CF Phelps in Fauquier county and went out to find some rabbits. Area looked perfect for rabbits but after walking all the southern fields and the power line from top to bottom (and back) I still haven't seen the first rabbit there (all this on Sat).
It's not like they are being over hunted, I only saw 2 other guys there beating the same fields coming up with the same thing, NOTHING.
Are there any good public lands with rabbits or do I just need to adjust my goal to tree rats.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Your looking in the wrong rabbitat. You need to find the nastiest briar patches, mt laurel and honey suckle you can locate. The thicker the cover the better. You need to get in the briars if you intend to locate rabbits. If you think rabbits are hanging in the fields and power lines, that makes them easy prey for hawks, eagles, fox and yotes. Thats why you see no rabbits in those areas.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:58 AM
Spike

I'll give it another go this weekend but I did give up a pint of blood working the edges of those fields and power lines. First thing I did when I came out of there was take off and buy a new pair of Filson chaps because I totally killed those Brownings brush pants I had on.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Mule bibs are the best or Dans briar proof bibs are very good as well.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Spike

Rltucci, we used to e absolutly over run with rabbits on our farm. I could go out after school every day and bring home my limit of 4 with my beagle. I still have access to the farm the terrain is the same but would be lucky to shoot one rabbit on our farm as well as the three farms ajoining us. I live in the woods and we havent had rabbits in 20+ years ! I have no answer for it but surely miss the good old days.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

Kill the coyotes!! Dad and I went out Saturday afternoon.
We brought back 7 and missed a couple! No snow makes
it hard to see them as well! Deep fried bunny!!! WOW that's
some good stuff!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:23 AM
Spike

Do you guys hunt rabbiots without dogs? I have not hunted rabbits since I was a kid and I have been going nutz wanting to go again, now almost 40, but I have never seen it done without the beautiful sound of those stubby little beagles. Please share some advice.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:53 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by cpljbuck
Do you guys hunt rabbiots without dogs? I have not hunted rabbits since I was a kid and I have been going nutz wanting to go again, now almost 40, but I have never seen it done without the beautiful sound of those stubby little beagles. Please share some advice.
cpljbuck; My Bassador (half Basset/half Lab) is just too old too hunt so I'm out there without his help and it requires a lot of walking and kicking everything you don't want to get into. I'm 58 and will put on about 10 to 15 miles of walking (if it were in a straight line); makes for a good night's sleep. Kicked up a few during early grouse season before they were in season but didn't have any luck the 2 times I went out for them this year. Was out by Front Royal Va last week and got the feeling I wasn't going to have any luck then either not long after starting; yote signs everywhere.