Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Hello

Old 11-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Spike

Default Hello

Hi, new to the forums and to hunting. Always wanted to but never got into it until my son came to me at age 7 and asked if we could go hunting together. He was too young at the time but once he turned 10 and could pass his hunter's safety test it was time to start learning.

We took out test in February, read, researched, got frustrated, read some more...and decided we'd go for small game to learn some of the ropes.

Been out twice this year for rabbits, no luck, so we turned the last hunt into a squirrel hunt. Got 3! It's been a lot of fun wandering around in the Pike National Forest and we've learned a great deal.

Was researching turkey hunting and saw this forum and decided to register. Since we've only ever small game hunted I figured I'd say hello here first.

We're going to try duck/goose hunting in a few weeks with a guy from work, then hopefully turkey in the spring. Hoping to lead up to a deer/elk hunt next fall.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Spike

Welcome to a life-long addiction. The important thing to remember is that results/bagging something is only one part of it. Being out there with your son walking around is something he'll always remember, and most likely will pass on to his kids when he's older if you two stick with it now. You will be surprised how much better of a hunter you'll be as time goes on, and not even that far into the future, I'm talking within the next year or two, its a steep learning curve at first and then a lifelong slow curve after that.
As for turkey hunting, I think thats a great way to go. Theres nothing more fun for a kid to do (grown man as well) then dress up in all camo and facemask or face paint, running around the woods chasing turkeys, and calling back and forth with them. Any of my friends who show interest in deer hunting, I take them turkey hunting first because its so active and fun, then later comes things like grouse hunting/rabbit hunting where you can put in a lot of miles with little success even if you're doing things right, and deer hunting where you can freeze your butt off waiting for a deer to come by. Have fun and good luck, and never, ever forget the snacks!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome aboard. You will be able to learn a lot from the folks here. Use the chat line here as well, and you can ask lots of questions in there as well.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome. You're blessed to be hunting in some beautiful land out there. So enjoy it! Lot's of good information here. Enjoy the forum and don't be shy.
-Jake
Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Spike

Sounds like fun times to get out with your son, I'm waiting to do so as well since he is to Young at the moment but soon enough. You should check out the outfitter page as I'm usually posing great deals on hunts, if your looking into elk I would love to help you out. So check for my posts in there from time to time. Take care!!