Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Is this squirrel meat still good?

Old 10-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Spike

Default Is this squirrel meat still good?

I went squirrel hunting at my buddy's property on the 14th, got 4, skinned and quartered em within 90 mins, and let them soak in salt water overnight in the fridge. I had to leave the next morning, I bagged em and put them on ice for the drive. Once I got back same day, I drained the water and put them in my fridge at home. I haven't had a chance to cook them because life has had me busy, so I took them out yesterday and they don't look too bad, just a little something weird on one front leg. Would you cook em up? I don't get a chance go squirrel hunting often so I'd like to salvage as much as I can. Let me know what you think! Thanks!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

It's probably fine. Assuming the meat was good to start with. I'd probably cook em. you mentioned something on one of the legs? Posting a picture of that may help identify that.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Im one of those "if its questionable, dont eat it" kind of person. Call me wasteful, but thats just how I am. 9 Days in the fridge seems a little long to me; should have frozen them.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Spike

I'm one of those guys that'll eat it no matter what especially after its been fried I say go for it, but I won't be responsible for any sickness or death as a consequence.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Spike

Appreciate all the responses, I took a closer look at the meat 2 days ago and the body ends of the the legs definitely had some kind of nasty going on so I chose to throw them away. I'm bummed it went to waste, but next time I'll just bring a Coleman stove and skillet out with me and cook em right after quartering haha
Old 10-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Typical Buck

You gotta be a single guy -- 3 days after you suspect there's something wrong with the meat, it's still in the fridge. LOL.
I sued to work for a butcher shop. Customers would call and ask, this meats been in my fridge for X number of days, is it still good? We'd tell them to trust their noses, if it doesn't smell like something you'd eat, don't eat it. That said, 12 days is a bit much.