Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.22mag bullets

Old 09-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default .22mag bullets

We are restricted to rimfire rifles/shotguns for coyotes(during any open deer season) here in NY.
I do alot of shotgunning, but just picked up a .22mag and was wondering what ammo you guys feel have the best performance(hard hitting/accurate. I shot some cheap walmart ammo(Win.45gr.dynapoints) and was surprised that I could group them 1" @ 100Yds. The dynapoints are a slow bullet compared to some others(CCI/Hornady), but I cant complain about that accuracy. I just don't know what kind of power they carry @ that range. I'm gonna test out some CCI's , but I thought I'd get some opinions from you guys.
Thanks
Old 09-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

Correction; Only restricted to rimfire (if) the area does not allow rifles for deer.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ridge Runner will hopefully weigh in here to speak first hand, but I keep hearing great things (from him and others) about the Federal 50grn loads. I've never personally used them, however, but I do agree with the idea that I want as much bullet weight as I can get for penetration in a rimfire.

I bounce back and forth between Hornady 30grn V-max's and CCI Maxi-Mag JHP's. Both work. I think the V-max is pretty range limited compared to the JHP's for penetration at longer range, but accuracy on these two rounds is good. Stick either one in a coyotes ear and that's fur on the fence.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a HUGE .22 mag fan and I've had the best luck/results with the 40-45gr hollow point loads. I used to hunt with my Kimber of Oregon .22mag but these days I hunt with my Brno 611 semiauto. I've made shots on yotes out to a self imposed 125 yards and they went down.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Spike

I'm a big .22 mag fan as well. I prefer how my Ruger 77/22 shoots with the Winchester Supreme-X JHP's myself.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Spike

the federal 50gr shoot great out of my gun and have good knockdown power
Old 09-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for your input guys. I plan on trying out some CCI 40gr Maxi-magJHP's. Ive always been a fan of CCI rimfire. I thought the Federal 50gr. would be the logical choice for coyotes, but I'll need to test how accurate they can be (@ 100yds).
From what I gather about FMJ's is that they won't expand(much) so tracking would be necessary if a body shot was taken. I bet a FMJ to the bean would be a flop-bang!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Spike

I'm also a big fan of CCI. They make some really nice rimfire ammo. They Maxi Mags are great and they also do a load with the Hornady V Max bullets. I usually like the V Max loads when shooting at something furry. For paper targets anything is nice, Winchester Dynapoints are usually the cheapest I can find and work just fine.