Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Hunting Call Questions

Old 08-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Spike

Default Coyote Hunting Call Questions

So I have a flextone echo HD caller. (http://www.cabelas.com/predator-misc...-hd-8482.shtml) This will be the first season i use it to call coyotes in. The coyote calls that it has are as follows:

adult distress
barks
beta male howl
female challenge
hunting whines
male aggressive
male communicative
male rally howl
pup 3 weeks distress
pup distress
pup scream
pup single howl
pup submissive
pup whining
young group howl

Is there anyone that could tell me which call would be good at what time of the year, and what time of the day, for each call? It also has plenty of different distress calls, like mouse, rabbits, raccoons, squirrels, and all sorts of deer calls.

I guess this thread would be a good resource for anyone looking to hunt coyotes. So any help?
Old 08-17-2012, 03:00 AM
Typical Buck

Hey huntard, Aren't you the one who hunts around Margaretville?
Well, I personally don't use many coyote vocalizations in early season. I typically like to incorporate distress sounds with vocals. Try to invision a scenario such as single howl, barks and rabbit to simulate a young excited yote chasing a bunny.
As for what time of day, I can probably count on one hand the times I've hunted in the daytime. So it goes without saying that all of my action comes in the darkness.
My observances tell me that they don't like to come out in the open on moonlit nights and I feel like they throw out more communicative howls because they're kinda pinned into the thicker cover. So I like DARK nights when they come charging across a field!!
When the moon is bright I like to run n' gun! locate vocal coyotes then make a play on them either right then or let it settle down and come back in 30 minutes. If you try to walk around in the moonlight they'll spot ya' QUICK!
Another tip for hunting in moonlight is to get in 45 minutes before dark with a decoy set out, When it gets dark WAIL on the distress and get ready!!
I hope this might help ya' out
Old 08-17-2012, 04:11 AM
Fork Horn

I have good luck using squilling rabbit and turkey calls. I do most of my hunting during the day the turkey call seems to be the best in the late spring and summer and rabbit call when there is snow on the ground. I only hunt them from January until July so no clue what woks the rest of the time.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by c-rad
I have good luck using squilling rabbit and turkey calls. I do most of my hunting during the day the turkey call seems to be the best in the late spring and summer and rabbit call when there is snow on the ground. I only hunt them from January until July so no clue what woks the rest of the time.
We have a coyote season here in New York. Oct.1st-late march.
I agree, turkey calls can be effective.
What state do you hunt in c-rad?
Old 08-17-2012, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

Mostly Colorado but I do hunt in PA atleast once a year.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have Pups running around here now for the past few months so the Pup sounds would work well,any barks and yelps are good to use when the Rabbit in distress and other distress calls don't seem to be working.When the Does have Fawns the Fawn in distress sounds/calls will be the ones to use also.I have used rabbit in distress calls,jack rabbit and the rodent and bird calls on my small Johny Stewart E-Caller.

Let's see.... Late Dec and Jan I use Female Invitation howls because they will be breeding around that time,if a Coyote starts barking at You and won't come in then the challenge barks are the ones to use....each call can be used depending on the time of year and the hunting situation.

For some great info on Predator Hunting from Hunters that eat,sleep and breathe it on a daily basis check out www.predatormasters.com

Last edited by GTOHunter; 08-19-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Over the last 20yrs+ of calling coyotes, I'd be confident that 90% of my dogs have been drawn in by cottontail distress sounds.

For me, it's pretty simple. Certain sounds work great certain times of year, while other times of year, they'll be hit or miss. The sound of a free meal is great all year long, so why not use that as your go-to call? I use higher pitched cottontail or rodent distress because it's an easier meal than larger animals, like jackrabbits, or fawns/deer. Bird distress sounds are good most of the year too, and are really good for drawing in bobcats.

I occasionally bring dogs in on coyote vocals, but they're more selective for certain times of year.

Specifically:

Female in heat sounds/whimpers: B1tches come in heat generally late winter, so I'll usually only use female wimpers in late january, or February through march.

Female invitation: Female howls are good through most of the year, but do very well for me in the breeding season, late jan/early feb through march.

Male territorial howls and challenge barks: Coyotes are very territorial during mating season, welping, clear up through when the pups are mobile. Male coyotes will get very bold in Jan-March, so they'll investigate intruding males like crazy.

Pup distress: Pups are generally born in April to May, so I'll use super high, low volume, short "peeps" of pup distress during that time. Then through the summer, the pups will be getting bigger, more mobile, and their voices will change. By late July-August, I'll use some small pup barks, then pup distress with more power, volume, and length.

Fawn distress: I'd keep it around mid-late spring to early summer (april-june timeframe), since that's when the whitetails are usually dropping fawns.

Turkey vocals: It seems that turkey sounds work best during mating through the first month or so of a new hatch, between March up through June.

All that seems like an awful lot to keep track of, and for what it's worth, not many of those timelines match up well with prime fur conditions. The simple solution is distress calls. Coyotes have to eat all year round. Sound like an easy meal, and they'll come.

One bit of good news is that in the fall, you'll see a LOT of adolescent coyotes running around that don't have a CLUE what's going on yet. No, they're not very big yet, but younger dogs are super easy to call. A desperate, exciting distress call with a lot of action and emotion will bring these pups in at a run.

I'll also second the recommendation to visit predatormasters.com. Absolute wealth of information and a great bunch of guys to learn from. Spend some time reading over there and you'll start to see that there's a big difference in the knowledge base between a "guy that hunts coyotes", and a "coyote hunter".

Last edited by Nomercy448; 08-19-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Spike

[QUOTE=PREDATE;3961121]Hey huntard, Aren't you the one who hunts around Margaretville?/QUOTE]

I am! Good stuff!

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Spike

Id agree with the above posted - about 95% of the time a Cotton Tail Works here in Nevada. Maybe a Jackrabbit - when they get close i coax them in with a mouse squeeker. I mostly use a Locator when selecting my spot to see if i can get a howl back.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Spike

I get alot of luck with distress calls. mostly cottontail. Some eye candy always seems to help too. i would recommend the mojo critter decoy