Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How to aim a rifle?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Spike

Default How to aim a rifle?

I have never hunted before, my goal isn't really hunting for hunting sake, I just wanna shoot up all these chipmunks that are wreaking havoc in my garden and eating my veggies.

My firearms experience is very limited.

Basically, I know how the sights work, I played Call of Duty and such, you line them up, so the front is in the middle of the gap of the rear sight. My problem is that I can only line them up if I only have one eye open. If i have both eyes open, I see both sights at the same time from a three-quarters perspective. This brings up problem #1, its hard for me to close just one eye. I guess I am not used to doing that with my eyelid. Most of the time I have to use my hand to close it, which is awkward when shooting a rifle. I tried using a glasses with one eye blacked out, but its still feels uncomfortable and awkward. Then there is problem #2. When I use one eye, my vision become much worse. I am only 31 yrs old, have no problem with sight in my everyday life what so ever. I put up a practice target about 60 feet or so. That's about the closest I can get to a chipmunk without worrying about him being scared and running away. The target is about the size of a plate. With 2 eyes, I can see everything perfectly, but with one eye I cant even see the lines marking the different rings and where the center is marked and the target itself become a little blurry. Problem is I cant line up the sights with 2 eyes open.

So anyway, what am i doing wrong? I know I seen people aim rifles with 2 eyes open on tv before, was that just for movies, or can you do this in real life. I am pretty sure its not my sight, but just something I am doing wrong, since i have no problem with my sight in everyday life.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Spike

You should go to a local gun shop and or take a hunters saftey course. If should help out alot. They can tell-show and teach you how to handle the rifle.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

What are you shooting? If you are talking about trying to use a 22 rifle and are having those kind of problems with your sighting, I would buy some shot shells for it. Then try to get a little closer than what you said and shoot them with that. It is very small shot and will spread out in a small pattern like a shotgun and you should be able to aim close enough with those to kill chipmunks and mice. That's about all they are good for other than if you have a snake right near your feet that you need to pop.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-11-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

No offense but if you don't know how to shoot and you want to get rid of chipmunks, try buying traps. Oh yea in some states chipmunks are protected so you might want to check your laws.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
What are you shooting? If you are talking about trying to use a 22 rifle and are having those kind of problems with your sighting, I would buy some shot shells for it. Then try to get a little closer than what you said and shoot them with that. It is very small shot and will spread out in a small pattern like a shotgun and you should be able to aim close enough with those to kill chipmunks and mice. That's about all they are good for other than if you have a snake right near your feet that you need to pop.
I am shooting an air rifle I got at wal-mart. Mainly because its super quiet and I don't want to disturb my neighbors. Tbh, I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to shoot a real gun in my back yard. Plus the sound would carry over, people would definitely know I am shooting.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by c-rad
No offense but if you don't know how to shoot and you want to get rid of chipmunks, try buying traps. Oh yea in some states chipmunks are protected so you might want to check your laws.
I dont think traps would work because my garden is fairly large, and there is a lot of chipmunks. I would have to buy like 20 traps
Old 06-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

you cant really explain how to. idk i just always knew haha but i would find someone who knows and have them show you, cuz im sorry but if you cant figure out how to aim it then no way in hell should you be shooting it!! very dangerous. even airguns. i own two airguns and i feel confident i could kill someone with both. they are equivalent to a .22
Old 06-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

First, be sure to follow all laws and regulations.

There is a big difference between video games and real life aiming - especially with iron sights.

Take the NRA Basic Pistol or NRA Basic Rifle. They will teach you firearm safety and proper shooting form. One that that is very important is determining your dominant eye. Here is a link to help determine which eye is dominant.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...r-dominant-eye

You might also be trying to keep the rear sight, front sight and target in focus at the same time. Our eyes can only focus on one focal plane at a time. Focus on the front sight - the rear sight and target will be slightly blurry.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Spike

It sounds as if you aren't using your dominant eye.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocular_dominance

There are some tests on that page that will figure out which eye is dominant.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been watching this thread since he first posted it, and I'm really disappointed it took almost an entire week to get the right answer...

If you're looking down the sights and you open your opposite eye and your view changes (like you're saying happens), then you're using the wrong eye.

Since you don't really know how to shoot yet, I'd recommend switching handedness on the rifle. It's pretty easy to teach your left hand how to shoot, it's almost impossible to re-program your brain to utilize your non-dominant eye. Yes, you can force your focus to switch (blinking, squinting, etc with your left eye will force it to the right eye), but no it's not going to be as fast or reliable as simply switching hands and using your dominant eye.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.