Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Track Question??

Old 03-29-2012, 06:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Track Question??

Hi every one I am wondering if a coyote track can reach a length of 4 inches? I know the track is very clearly a dog track of some sort. When hunting last fall up here I thought I saw a wolf.. It came out and run straight down a dirt road until it crossed a stream and turned and ran into the woods again. Most coyotes I have seen run in a weaving type of way. ( kind of zig-zagging) At first I thought it was a young bear as it was dark in color. Yesterday I saw a track in there that looked to be a bit large for a coyote. So that is why I am asking as Maine does not have any wolves?? Two have been killed in this state when one was shot by someone thinking it was a bear and the other was taken by mistake by a trapper.. I used my cell phone to measure the track with. It can not be a dog as it is roughly 35 miles from any town. Also the fact no one has been in there as of yet..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 03-29-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Weather / soil conditions can make the same animal's track seem smaller or larger.

http://www.bear-tracker.com/
Old 03-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the reply and the link Sheridan..

I now 90% convinced it is from a wolf. I very truely hope that is not the case. But the info on that link makes it look like a sure thing. I tried to take a picture of the track but my camera skills are seriously lacking. I realise this picture is not clear. The track is in mud that has frozen so there could be some shrinkage. Any ways here is the best I could do yesterday.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 03-29-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

You are correct that having been frozen it will shrink alittle, however mud will make the original print bigger and deeper than it would be on dry ground.

This photo shows the tracks of two different species. Coyote and bobcat. The coyote track at the top shows some sliding from forward motion. The coyote slipped in the mud! Below the coyote track are two tracks from a bobcat. They are the left front foot (clearly visible) and another track, which may be older, or it may be the left hind track of the same bobcat. This photo provides an opportunity to study the footprints of two species or wild predator. The differences in their tracks are apparent here.

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-29-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks again and I truely hope you are right, but there was no slippage at all in the tracks I saw. It was only 4 tracks as it went down off the road. I am planning on setting a trailcam in past that area tomorrow morning. We had some snow last night and if I see anymore of his tracks I will try to get a better pic on them. My cell phone that is beside the track is 4 and 1/4 inches long and from the heal pad to the tip is an easy 4 inches long. But however it is in mud..
Old 04-03-2012, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

I went back in that area to set up my trailcam. I never saw what made that track. I did see a couple of smaller coyote tracks though. I also found on a road not far from there where some had driven in. So it could possibly be from someone using a dog to find sheds?? Thanks for your help..